Lemon Demon - Spirit Phone
Mar 23, 2017 (updated May 2, 2017)
Since my initial review of this project, I have given it many, many, many more listens. It's been that album I listen to a few times a week, and certain songs from it have become among my favorites of this decade honestly. Cicierega crafted an infectiously catchy and fun record, with absolutely stunning synthesizer work and nerdy sci-fi stories told in his lyrics. I cannot emphasize enough how much Spirit Phone has been growing on me, and I have found it to be one of the most energetic and youthful albums of the last few years.

Through an hour of nerdy electro-pop tunes, Neil Cicierega created one of the more lighthearted and fun albums of the 2010's. With no Smashmouth samples on this one, all of the production is very clean and cut down to only what is necessary. However, the album contains a decent amount of filler tracks that just aren't needed. But the themes and song topics that are explored across the entirety of Spirit Phone are so absurd and weird that it appeals to me in the oddest way.

fav tracks: Lifetime Achievement Award, Touch-tone Telephone, When He Died, Sweet Bod, Soft Fuzzy Man, Cabinet Man (standout), Reaganomics
Comments