BROCKHAMPTON - Saturation
Jun 12, 2017
Saturation is everything that I expected to get from Brockhampton. After all of the stellar singles they put out, it was obvious that the whole album couldn't be like that, and it wasn't. To me, the singles are by far the best tracks on the record (Star and Gold are some of my favorites from the whole year so far), but there are still tracks that were held to be released with the full album that are just as charismatic and fun as the singles.
By now, everyone is well aware of the obvious Odd Future influence on this group, and I think most people can agree that this is better than anything put out by OF as a collective. Brockhampton presents themselves as much more mature than Odd Future, but just as eager and youthful. OF had a lot of duds, in both performers and commercial outputs. But Brockhampton is a very well-rounded group of guys who has a clear idea of what they want to do, and so far they're doing a great job at it.
Additionally, this probably isn't AOTY material for me. Sure, it might grow on me in time and it might end up as one of the best hip hop albums of the year. Saturation is gonna be one of those albums that I revisit all the time, yet don't think is an incredible piece of music. But overall there is still a lot to be done for Brockhampton to produce something that can compete against the best of the best. If they take some of the aspects from Saturation that resulted in the blatant highlights (the beat on Star, flow on Bump, generally improved lyrics) they could really be contending then.
However, this isn't all that Brockhampton has in store for 2017, so all we can do is wait and see if they can pull off an album even better than this.

fav tracks: Star (standout), Gold (standout), Bump, Bank