BROCKHAMPTON - GINGER
Aug 17, 2019 (updated Aug 22, 2019)
everyone wanting another saturation is going to be sorely disappointed. this band has proven continuously that they will not repeat themselves. if you wanna speculate that's cool but people already saying "I'm gonna hate this" are just annoying lol

REVIEW (all caps for bh reviews is tradition at this point):
THIS ALBUM IS WAYYYYY DIFFERENT FROM IRIDESCENCE, AND REMINDS ME OF THE SATURATION ALBUMS IN WAYS I DIDN'T EXPECT FROM THE UPBEAT, AND MORE BANGER-FOCUSED SINGLES. ESPECIALLY IN THE SECOND HALF, WHERE EMOTIONS RUN RAMPANT, AND THE PRODUCERS SHOW OFF THEIR MORE HARMONIC SIDE AGAIN. THE PRODUCTION ON HERE IS EASILY THE MOST IMPRESSIVE AND LAYERED OF ANY BH ALBUM SO FAR.
IT'S A PROGRESSION OF THEIR SOUND, BUT ALSO A MUCH INVITED RETURN TO CERTAIN STYLES OF THE SATURATION ERA. ANYONE WORRIED BECAUSE OF THE UNDERWHELMING SINGLES SHOULD WAIT AND JUST LISTEN. I THINK THEY'RE BY FAR THE WORST ON THE ALBUM AND THEY'RE ALL 8/10S FOR ME AT LEAST.

I PERSONALLY ENJOYED THE FUCK OUT OF THIS THING. DEFINITELY GONNA BE ON REPEAT FOR THE NEXT WEEK AT LEAST (but you knew that, I'm a fucking bh stan lmao, which is why I tried to make this review mostly objective as possible).

SCORE: AT LEAST A 9. FUCK. GONNA HAVE TO SPIN IN SOME MORE TO CONSTRUCT MY OPINIONS.

ESSENTIALS:
GINGER, ST. PERCY, NO HALO, LOVE ME FOR LIFE

LIVE FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

ALREADY HEARD THE FIRST THREE - GREAT TRACKS. SUGAR IS THE BEST OF THEM, GREAT SUMMERY TRACK MAKES ME WANNA GO STARGAZING WITH MY BESTIES LIKE A 14 YEAR OLD AESTHETIC GIRL

HEAVEN BELONGS TO YOU - MAYBE I SHOULD LISTEN TO SLOWTHAI LOL. THE BEAT INTERPOLATION OF IF YOU PRAY RIGHT WORKS REALLY WELL HERE

ST. PERCY - MERLYN HOLY FUCK. HOLY FUCK MERLYN CALM DOWN LMAO. BEST TRACK SO FAR EASSSSSILY. FUCKING DISTILLED BROCKHAMPTON BANGER.

[THEY (slightly) CHANGED] IF YOU PRAY RIGHT - A LIL BIT IN VERY SUBTLE WAYS THAT ENHANCE THE ENERGY. ALL THE CHANGES WORK PRETTY WELL. ALSO THE TRANSITION FROM THE LAST TRACK WAS PRETTY GREAT. LOVE THIS TRACK.

DEARLY DEPARTED - BEAUTIFUL SLIGHTLY ORCHESTRAL SLOW TRACK WITH SURPRISING FUNK ELEMENTS AND A GOOOOOD HELPING OF REVERB. JOBA HITTING NOTES HIGHER THAN THE STRATOSPHERE. SENTIMENTAL VERSES FROM KEVIN AND MATT, INCREDIBLE DOM VERSE, TOO.

I BEEN BORN AGAIN - STILL SLAPS SUE ME. STILL WISH MATT'S AMAZING ENDING PART WAS A HOOK THO. "SHE SO BAD I LET HER TOUCH MY BUTT" IS MY FAV LINE OF THE ALBUM.

GINGER - LOW PITCH MELODIC AUTOTUNED KEVIN CAN DRILL ME. VERY STRANGELY UPBEAT TRACK. DISTORTED SYNTHS AND PERCUSSION, INCREDIBLE AUTOTUNE VOCAL HARMONIES AND AN OVERALL MELANCHOLIC VIBE. BRINGS ME BACK TO SATURATION TRACKS LIKE GAMBA AND SWIM IN THE BEST WAY POSSIBLE. DEFINITELY A FAV SO FAR.

BIG BOY - ODD BUT CATCHY DOWNPITCHED HOOK. JOHNNY JOBA IS BACK AND HE'S AMAZING. BEARFACE IS RAPPING AND I'M ACTUALLY FULLY ENJOYING IT. SEEMS HE'S EMBRACED HIS ROLE AS THE RNB KID OF BROCKHAMPTON. AS ALWAYS. MELANCHOLIC INSTRUMENTAL WITH SUBTLE SYNTHS AND KEYS, AS WELL AS SOME SATURATION I ESQ HEAVY DRUMS. INCREDIBLE HEAVY INSTRUMENTAL OUTRO.

LOVE ME FOR LIFE - OH THERE'S A RHODES PIANO I'M FUCKING WITH THIS HEAVYYYYY. GREAT VERSE FROM KEVIN. THEY'VE GONE BACK TO THEIR PREVIOUS CREATIVE AND TASTEFUL USE OF AUTOTUNE. SNIPPET PART COMES OUT OF ABSOLUTE NOWHERE BUT I LOVE IT. TOTALLY DIFFERENT IN CONTEXT OF THE SONG. TRACK IS WAYYYY MORE HARMONIC THAN I WOULD'VE PREDICTED FROM THE SNIPPET.

VICTOR ROBERTS - NEW MEMBER??????????????????????? NEW MEMBER???? NEWMEMBER!!!?????! DOWNPLAYED PERCUSSIONLESS INTRO WITH PIANO AND REVERSED SAMPLES AND AN AMAZING, DETAILED, AND TECHNICAL VERSE FROM VICTOR ABOUT FAMILY AND GROWING UP WITH THE TRAUMA OF COMING FROM A ROUGH ENVIRONMENT. BASS KICKS IN WITH KEVIN DOING FUCKIN GOSPEL SHIT!? HIGHLY LAYERED BEARFACE HARMONIES MAKING ME STRAIGHT ASTRAL PROJECT. INCREDIBLE EMOTIONAL TRACK GOT DAMN. WHAT A WAY TO END AN ALBUM.
Aug 20, 2019
I don't think the singles are really that bad, even the weaker ones (If You Pray Right) still sound pretty good. Boy Bye is growing on me and I Been Born Again is a straight up banger.
Aug 20, 2019
Yeah! I love the singles and even though I don't personally get the perspective, hating the singles is valid. I just get annoyed when people are obviously already getting attached to hating it before it even fully comes out.
Aug 20, 2019
I think it's just that BROCKHAMPTON is generally very consistent. Like, when you see the merch and promotion and singles for a BH album it's really easy to predict what the vibe and aesthetic of the album will be like. I'm not necessarily doubting that the album will be good in it's own right, I just don't think this one's gonna be my vibe, the sonic palette with the singles really just didn't do much for me. Except for Joba he's in his prime
Aug 21, 2019
Exactly! that's all good and constructive, but simply "this album's gonna blow chunks" doesn't add anything to discussion and if you're a "cool guy" with 800 followers, a lot of impressionable people are gonna have the album ruined for them because of some ignorant shitheads.
Aug 21, 2019
Apologies if I do come off as one of those "I'm gonna hate this" annoying people in my single reviews. Obviously, I'm looking forward to hearing what GINGER has to offer, but from what I see based off the singles, it doesn't seem like they're going in a direction that I particularly find enjoyment out of. I'm keeping an open mind, but also don't want to force myself to like something just because it's BROCKHAMPTON.
Aug 21, 2019
For me, GINGER is both a reinvention of their sound while also referring back to some of their Saturation roots. I think they're a group that have well moved on past that era, so hearing some of that old influence in a new leg of their career comes off as awkward and ingenuine imo. I also don't think they're built to last. Recently, it seems like the members are becoming more independent with their own sense of direction and ambition. So when I hear these songs, it's more like...
Aug 21, 2019
...a compilation of features from different people with very separate musical ideas rather than an actual group. Sorry for the rant, I just wanted to get my thoughts out there.
Aug 22, 2019
Album's fucking fire. Singles are easily the worst tracks. Also I wasn't referring to anyone specifically, sorry if it felt like I was targeting you.
Aug 22, 2019
It's ok. It didn't feel like you were targeting me at all, but I will admit I was being a little bit annoying with some of my Brockhampton statements.

Also, my god, I wish I was as excited as you are about this album, lol. Nice review! Great to see people genuinely liking it. :)
Aug 22, 2019
thanks! it's a shame you couldn't enjoy it as much as I have on the first couple listens but thanks for being honest.