Lorde - Pure Heroine
Jan 31, 2016
Lorde's Pure Heroine is a "soundtrack to my [insert certain season of sadness, a time of uncertainty and perhaps existential and/or teenage angst, like winter maybe, or a dreary summer]" kind of album. Like a lot of pop albums, it is a kind of blank slate on which dedicated listeners scrawl their own stories. Sure, Lorde's lyrics, in their impressionistic way, aren't universal; many of them feel like bizarre inside jokes from the cool kids who for some reason think they're the uncool kids. There's enough left unseen and undiscussed though that anyone willing can see themselves in these songs. "Buzzcut Season" and "Ribs" are the true standouts here. "Royals" and "Tennis Court" work well as singles, but in the context of the album, they sink or swim on the strength of the songs around them. "400 Lux" and "Still Sane" left a bad taste in my mouth on first listen, but later listens didn't bear the same result. I maintain that the production on this thing needed a steadier hand, and as for lyrics, I'm not sure if it would be bad or good for Lorde to go for more steadfast content in the future. There's a lot to be said for making records that act as mirrors for their listeners, and this is definitely one of those, even if it's cracked down the middle.
Comments