Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
Sep 18, 2015
(Warning: This review officially #rekt by JustAReflektor. Proceed with caution into the abyss.) Ignore the idea that To Pimp a Butterfly is one of the most culturally important albums of the past 20 years. Ignore the fact that Kendrick is one of the most technically excellent and lyrically brave MC's still on the mic. Ignore the courageous free jazz elements, the aleatoric and arrhythmical tendencies of Kendrick's voice and the surrounding instruments. Ignore the fact that the album boasts one of the most impressive low ends of any album ever. Think instead about the flow of the album, the way the music itself moves you, the myriad moments of pure magic that make it special. Then you'll realize, there's no reason to ignore any of those things at all.
Oct 11, 2015
this review = A1
Oct 12, 2015
I like steak sauce.
HATER ALERT HATER ALERT LOOKS LIKE WE GOT A HATER OVER HERE
Dec 13, 2015
You my son have just been not rekt ☐ rekt ☑
Dec 14, 2015
i dont disagreee with reflektor. i havent edited my rating yet, i think tpab is a really amazing and creative project, but also very overrated. there are more important and impactful pieces that have released in the past 20 years (fear of a black planet, amerikkas most wanted, hell i think that even madvilliany is a more important album). not hating, just saying that this is probably closer to an 8-8.5 for me honestly
Dec 21, 2015
Definitely rekt. Haha. I admit to hyperbole, which is common in most instances of metaphor, but I digress. I haven't heard very many objective 10s. I'm just a suck-up to the great abyss, so I've given high ratings to quite a few things from my adolescence that don't deserve them because I suck the proverbial dick of personal nostalgia 24/7. All JustAReflektor's comments though... 10/10.
Dec 22, 2015
In all honesty, really glad that somebody doesn't like it, weird as that may sound. Also glad you listed all those albums (both of those Joanna albums are currently all I can think about most of the time). I literally made a folder called "JustAReflektor Recommends instead of To Pimp a Butterfly" on my computer for the ones I haven't heard.
Mar 15, 2016
just suck the mans dick already
Mar 16, 2016