Julia Holter - Loud City Song
Sep 19, 2020 (updated Sep 29, 2020)
If vocal melodies were at least half as attractive as in Have You in My Wilderness I would like this album much more. Of course this does not change the fact that this album is good. But still it is very far from being as great as its successor.

Edit* It’s a grower
What!?
Sep 28, 2020
@okcomputer12127 I guess it's a grower. After my first listen i gave it a 6 so it's an improvement anyway. Still i don't think it's her best record.
Have You in My Wilderness is clearly better (i mean way more entertaining)
Sep 28, 2020
It's probably too sophisticated for me lmao. I'm still amazed that you gave this album such a high score considering how critical you have become lately.
Sep 28, 2020
Julia Holter is a sophisticated artist in general. I'm just surprised you didn't like this album as much as others in her discography. Maybe it's a bit pretentious for you, but that's a little bit off-putting because you love this type of music (experimental rock/pop). I for one LOVE this album for how strange it is in her discography. It's funny to think how some Holter fans were shocked when they first listened to this. It's her most otherworldly and poetic (unpopular opinion) album to date, definitely a career highlight. You should probably listen to this album a couple of times before forming your own opinion on this album. It's just one of those albums, you know?
Sep 28, 2020
@okcomputer12127 To be honest, I was surprised here myself that I did not feel this album the way I wanted it to. And it is true, I like this kind of music very much and I usually have no reason to complain. That was the case with Have You in My Wilderness which is one of my favourite albums of this genre. This album has mainly delighted me in terms of production and beautiful melodies. The music itself was unearthly, full of blissful instrumental moments to which I really enjoy coming back. Loud City Song, on the other hand, seems to be an instrumentally poorer album with less interesting production and also a less pleasant tone. Vocals, as I have already mentioned, were not very engaging for me (melodies, completely unobtrusive, which I hate personally). I missed a Feel You style song or anything that would delight me in every musical aspect.

But i hope it would change after couple more listens:D I will try to listen to it tomorrow so we will see i guess
Sep 28, 2020
Why you gave Have You in My Wilderness a 65 tho? Your ratings lately are kind of ridiculous to say at least haha but i don't mind them, i really like to see what album would you hate next.
Sep 29, 2020
What made the score jump from a 76 to an 88? Sorry that I keep on bugging you about this, just wondering.
@okcomputer12127
I listened to this album again and I liked it a little more than I did then. Still my 88 it’s probably your 60 lmao
You mean 9.6/10? Lol
Sep 29, 2020
@okcomputer12127 I mean your rating system.
Like my 90 is your 70 and so on