Mac Miller - Faces
Jan 17, 2020 (updated Apr 19, 2020)
As I noted in my review of "Good News", In the week until the release of Mac's final posthumous album, I wanted to review my top 3 Mac Miller albums as way of honoring his creativity. My number one album goes to Faces.

To say that his album is essentially Mac's admission to drowning in the world of addictions isn't enough. It's so more than that. It's a willingness to break free from such an entanglement. We are given a look into Mac's internal conflicts and hopeful pessimism. On a conceptual level, this is Mac's Atrocity Exhibition.

Like Watching Movies, the production beautiful, borderline hypnagogic, and dynamic sample-heavy beats as well as some wonky experimental beats, but they are far more developed and cohesive. They're far more psychedelic and unorthodox like never before in Mac's discography.

Mac's lyricism is in tip top form. There's not a single place in his lyrics that has a lace of laziness. He had such a natural way of balancing wit, humor, romance, and introspection.

Mac's lines are grim in some points. Even horribly prophetic in retrospect. With lines like "I'll probably die alone of an overdose of some sort", It's honestly makes for a difficult listen. And songs like "Angel Dust" make it even more hard. Especially with the vivid imagery of some of his lines like:

"My pupils dilated, highly dehydrated
I'm lost inside a giant matrix
Isolate myself from eyes I find contagious
Jump above the come down"

However, there are some incredible moments of fantastic braggadocious lyricism in tracks like "Diablo", and "Here We Go" that really suit this underlying theme finding a proper balance and fighting his demons.

The album may be a very tough listen…in retrospect. When viewed, however, in the context of where he was in his life at the time, this album is more powerful. It's almost auto-biographical, Mac's given us a vivid picture of where his headspace was and how it feels to be in such a space. This is Mac's masterpiece.

Faves: Inside Outside, Here We Go, Friends, Angel Dust, Malibulisten download, What Do You Do, It Just Doesnt Matter, Therapy, Polo Jeans, Happy Birthday, Wedding, Funeral, Diablo, Ave Maria, 55, San Francisco, Insomniak, Uber, Rain, Apparition, Thumbalina, New Faces v2, Grand Finale

Least Fave: Colors and Shapes