Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion
May 5, 2021 (updated May 30, 2021)
"Sweet summer night and I'm stripped to my sheets
Forehead is leaking, my AC squeaks
And a voice from the clock says, "You're not gonna get tired"
My bed is a pool and the walls are on fire
Soak my head in the sink for a while
Chills on my neck and it makes me smile but
My bones have to move and my skin's gotta breathe
You pick up the phone and I'm so relieved"

Here where I live in Canada, it is the stage where it is about to get, dare I say, extremely humid. I'm not sure if it is a normal thing or not, but I get extremely appreciative, yet, emotional when it is aggravatingly hot. Upon the first few listens, I didn't really get Merriweather Post Pavillion. I liked a few songs but something just wasn't there that called for me to return. But, now that it's hot out, I finally understand this.

I haven't studied the "lore" of this album or the lyrics but something about this feels incredibly warm like I'm in my comfort zone. I had an entire day of just sitting down and self-loathing, so I decided to throw this on and sit back. For about 55 minutes, I finally recognized that this entire album is so carefully yet aggressively layered and crafted, as I keep replaying the songs there's something new. When listening with headphones, I can picture myself at a live show, seeing big drums with glitter and confetti flying in the air as they react to each boom. Yet, this also feels extremely isolated like I'm tripping on acid in the middle of the forest at sundown all by myself. Regardless of whether that was the intention of the album, I praise the band for giving me the option to choose the mood, not many albums can do that to me.

As pretentious or exaggerated as it may sound, this album taught me the lesson of trying things more than once, twice, thrice, twenty times, more than all of that. Art like this has so many details and hidden treats that enhance the experience every time. This took me over ten listens just to give it a solid 80, which in my case is not even close to a negative score, but at this point, it's not what it deserved.

I now know that I'll be returning to most of the albums that I gave a negative score to because my opinion could have changed. Go give that album, movie, anything that "disappointed" you another try, because you might end up enjoying it.
May 5, 2021