Willow - lately i feel EVERYTHING
Jul 15, 2021
'Lately i feel EVERYTHING' is the fourth studio album by the multi-talented artist WILLOW. After releasing one of my favorite albums from 2019 with the psychedelic R&B-inspired self-titled "WILLOW", the singer decides to change the trajectory of her musical path and bet on a more rock and pop-punk sound. We can see in the performance of 't r a n s p a r e n t s o u l' (on the charts and general public acclaim) that that switch was very well-received, earning her first entry on the Billboard Hot 100 after 10 years of 'Whip My Hair' and '21st Century Girl'.

Unfortunately, this success wasn't reflected in the quality of the album and ended up becoming quite underwhelming for a fan like me. My main problem with the album is definitly the singer's vocals. While on her self-titled that was the most exciting part, here's what I find most annoying and that's because the production doesn't match (in a very cohesive way) with the singer's vocals, that end up being quite overshadowed by the instrumentation.

However, there're certain qualities in the project that makes it decent, such as melodic compositions and Willow's liberating charisma and care-free persona, essentials components in an album of this genre. The preceding singles 't r a n s p a r e n t s o u l' and 'Lipstick' are definitely the highlights of the album for me, bringing one of the rare moments when WILLOW's production and vocals work in a perfect harmonious way. Despite not having loved the album the way I wanted, I wish every success to Willow who was always discredited for her musical talent and also for the expansion of this genre into the mainstream.
Track Ratings