The Weeknd - Dawn FM
Jan 17, 2022
Happy (late) New Year! After some time reflecting on my purpose at AOTY I think I'm finally ready to get back to full-time reviewing! And with this reflection comes some changes. I decided that I will make this account entirely in English, not only because it is a universal language and I like to be constantly training to improve it, but also to encourage foreign users to give a chance to projects in other languages, such as Portuguese.

As some of you may know, I started doing reviews for https://soundx.com.br/ (Portuguese) and I've been focusing my time there to make the most "perfect" reviews possible, being more demanding with myself there. And I decided that by publishing the reviews from there here, I will translate one of the most essential paragraphs (or parts) to here in order to encourage non-portuguese spoken people to give it a try and translate for themselves later.

I also decided that I will be more free here at AOTY, in the sense that I will post simpler and/or more complex reviews as I feel like. I used to feel huge pressure to do huge reviews just because, even though I didn't have much else to say about the album/single, so that's one aspect I want to improve this year. In this way I will also approach a greater number of projects and works. I'm looking forward to starting this year with new music and new interactions/friendships :)

now to the real review:

"Dawn FM is conceptually formatted as a radio show, hence its title, in which Jim Carrey serves as the host of various spoken interludes throughout the disc, for example "Dawn FM". The album's opening mixes an 80's radio station with a welcome to purgatory, a state of temporary punishment that involves a whirlwind of sensations and reflections on the past, not coincidentally, Abel appears elderly on the cover.

In this project, The Weeknd uses and abuses of synthesizers, directing the listener to a world completely of his own and an intergalactic and nostalgic journey to the sound of songs inspired, mostly, in the 80's. However, instead of just recycling this sound, in an inauthentic way, the artist manages to make the songs innovative and classic at the same time. One of the greatest examples is “Less Than Zero”, a true retro pop anthem, which integrates more natural instruments such as guitar, accompanied by synthesizers, fundamental pieces of the artistic identity (of the character) of the singer"

read more: https://soundx.com.br/the-weeknd-dawn-fm/