ROSALÍA - MOTOMAMI
Mar 19, 2022 (updated Mar 19, 2022)
ROSALÍA creates her own music genre and breaks all barriers of spanish music.

This is the second album I've heard from ROSALÍA after the incredible "El Mal Querer". Consequently, my expectations were already high, and surprising as it may be, she was able to exceed them. “MOTOMAMI” is an album that I couldn't foresee and that's why it's so fantastic. The singer embarks on a mix of genres from reggaeton to experimental pop in a way never seen before.

The project is an explosive mess in every sense of the word. It's varied, inexplicable, experimental, electrifying, diverse and most of all, not afraid to do something different. In a music industry that's becoming repetitive and recycling the same sounds and samples over and over again (especially latin and spanish music), it's refreshing to have a singer who is creative enough to create the most beautiful and intriguing songs and styles.

I could talk about many songs on this album, but the one that enchanted the most was "HENTAI". A totally out of the ordinary and unconventional subject, talking about the beauty of sexual art and its nature. However, what I like most about the song is its arrangement. It starts off as an emotional ballad (ironic given the theme) and builds into an explosion in the form of production. ROSALÍA also shows how humor came into play on the album, after 2 very serious albums we end up seeing in "MOTOMAMI" more fun and meaningless songs here like this song and "CHICKEN TERIYAKI" for example.

Sometimes the consistency of the disk is questionable but its positives far outweigh the small negatives. ROSALÍA is one of the names to be highlighted in the future of music. Her experimentalism is ambitious enough for music intellectuals and accessible to the average listener who is willing to try something more than Top 40 radio.

Track Ratings