Big Thief - Dragon New Warm Mountain I Believe in You
Feb 23, 2022
This is my first experience with the band Big Thief and I can say that I am very satisfied.

"Dragon New Warm Mountain I Believe in You" is quiet but impactful. What I appreciated the most of this project was the melodies and the way the vocalists sing. One of the main musical figures that reminded me of the band was Carole King. Every song on the album made me feel at home and peace.

However, this doesn’t mean that the group is "quiet" in terms of production, on the contrary. Big Thief combines several subgenres within folk such as indie, rock and alternative. The song "Time Escaping" is a great example of creative but still serene instrumentation.

In terms of lyrics the group is also impressive. One of the lines that stuck with me the most was in the opening song "Change".

"Would you live forever, never die
While everything around passes?
Would you smile forever, never cry
While everything you know passes?"

The song encourages the listeners to embrace the inevitable unknown. You will die and the following lines in the chorus ask you to contrast living forever in a bubble with living with the realities of the ups and downs of life.

Although the album is quite long, its length is justified in a cohesive narrative in which everything seems to be in its place. It took me a long time to appreciate this album and I feel that it will increase over time since the record has many reflections and philosophical thinking.

Comments