Beyoncé - RENAISSANCE
Jul 29, 2022 (updated Aug 3, 2022)
"RESSAINANCE" is the first act of a trilogy of albums. Filled with personality and charisma, the music star's seventh album is one of the most interesting in her discography.

I didn't expect the album to contain so much trap, but it was a great surprise. You can see that the singer expanded the style used in "Everything Is Love" (a collaborative project with Jay-Z), creating fast verses mixed with vocals of an extraordinary range, one of a kind. The genre is complemented by an 80s and disco influence. However, Beyoncé brings her creative touch with a fantastic production team and inspirations that fit perfectly into the world created by the artist.

Regarding the lyrical concept of the album it's difficult to reach a concrete conclusion since it's only the first part of a sequence of acts. However, Beyoncé's rhymes and lines are intelligent and with plenty of references to african culture and the feeling of being reborn and feeling free.

Overall, the record is risky and a grandiose proposition from Beyoncé. We can't help but be amazed at every step the singer takes, time and time again. The density of "RESSAINANCE" is extreme and for that reason this score isn't definitive, with so many details still to delve into, but from what I've heard so far (over and over again), we have one of the best and most original disco albums of the year.

Edit: This has grown from a 85 to a 90 for me, everything about the concept, production, vocals and just how care free Beyoncé is in this whole thing is unexpected but also extraordinary. Definitly my mainstream AOTY and favorite pop album in 2022 (so far).

2w