My Chemical Romance - I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love
Aug 3, 2019 (updated Mar 16, 2020)
After a third listen, this album really isn't too bad. It's certainly far weaker than their other work, but it has some personality and the good tracks are quite good. Our Lady of Sorrows was especially fun and Demolition Lovers is also still a really nice closer. Songs like Honey, This Mirror and Vampires had already grown on me due to playing them on Clone Hero, which I actually did for this entire listen, bar Demolition Lovers as the chart was corrupted. It was an interesting experience and I did the same for my second or third listen of The Black Parade. Being able to, sort of but not really, play the guitar parts does help a bit, but there is an argument to be made about my performance with a song. If I played particularly well, maybe the song goes up higher than it deserves, and vice versa. I didn't really encounter this problem too much, so I guess it was pointless to bring up.

I criticized the guitar work previously for being too simplistic, but I think that was unfair of me. I think I was generally a bit harsh, but I don't fully remember why. Gerard's vocals really aren't too bad, I think it's maybe just the production that fails the group here. It sounds pretty dated, not just in the way it sounds but also the music itself. Some parts are immediately recognizable as MCR, other parts feel like a band that hadn't yet defined their sound, which is pretty obviously what we have here. Analysis.

If nothing else, the fact this album is somewhat lacklustre just makes their eventual improvement that much more impressive. Like seriously, Three Cheers and Black Parade are leaps and bounds better than this in every single way, which you most likely already know. It's like Neck Deep going from Wishful Thinking to Life's Not Out To Get You, except Wishful Thinking isn't bad at all, but I am now legally obligated to mention Neck Deep in every review. And as far as debut albums, I guess it could have been a lot worse. Right on.

Favourite tracks: Honey This Mirror Isn't Big Enough for the Two of Us, Vampires Will Never Hurt You, Our Lady of Sorrows, Demolition Lovers

Least favourite tracks: Drowning Lessons (the outro is still so great and I'm still so mad it isn't expanded on), Early Sunsets Over Monroeville (the last two minutes are extremely melodramatic and repetitive)

Track list ratings:

8. Early Sunsets Over Monroeville - 4/10
9. This Is the Best Day Ever - 6/10
10. Cubicles - 5/10
11. Demolition Lovers - 8/10

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's genuinely shocking how they went from this to Three Cheers to Black Parade and so on. Most of it is either terrible or so boring that I have basically nothing to say. The only two songs I like are the first and last one: 'Romance', 'Demolition Lovers'. I think that last one is maybe their longest song ever and it does not feel like it, so props for that. It isn't all bad, those two songs, especially the latter, are quite good.

I guess my main problem here is Gerard Way-Way's vocals. Don't get me wrong, he's an absolutely fantastic singer... on the other records. Here, he just reminds me of the vocalist from The Fall of Troy and it really distracts me; admittedly less so on this second listen, but it's still pretty glaring. Granted, he did have a dental abscess while they were making this album. But even then, that doesn't make it not bad, cause it's bad. Their later albums saw them kind of break out of the "genre" they were in, but this one is quite firmly emo, if you will.

If I'm being honest, I'm not much of a music nerd. All I can really say about the instrumentation here is that it's pretty generic, bland and boring. Unlike their other albums, which are eargasmic levels of good, this is just really dull and uninteresting. Though saying that, one example I enjoyed was the outro to Drowning Lessons; this also happens to be, probably, my least favourite song on the album. The riff that plays during the outro is pretty good, but it lasts for about five seconds. The opening riff is okay at first, but within seconds it becomes annoying. As far as the music goes, all I can really say is "It sounded good" or "It sounded bad". *shrug*

On the whole, a really forgettable and disappointing album. This was the first of their full albums I listened to when starting off with MCR just a few months ago. Luckily, their other three albums are all really great and already some of my favourites of all time. So, if it means getting Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge, The Black Parade and Danger Days: The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys, I'm okay with this album existing. It's not like I have to listen to it, I suppose. Thanks for reading whatever this was. Bye.

I've most likely rated this higher than it deserves. Blame it on my bad math, I guess.

Favourite tracks: Romance, Demolition Lovers
Least favourite tracks: Basically all of them

Track list ratings: