Nova Twins - Supernova
Jun 18, 2022
Yeah, no.

Nova Twins are a duo that I only know off of 'Cleopatra' (which I heard on the radio), and their really good feature on the Bring Me The Horizon EP. So when I saw that the critics really, really liked this album, I figured I'd give it a listen and was frankly disappointed.

We'll start with the positives. 'Toolbox' is a pretty good song, and probably the best on the album. Sometimes the sound palette can be pretty cool, and the rapping is good. But that's pretty much it.
Most of the songs here are very... mid. The sound is actually alright MOST of the time, but during full listens everything sort of blends together as early as track 4.
I'll say there are only three outright bad songs on this record, but that doesn't excuse all but 2-3 songs being really lackluster. This album is an ordeal to get through at times. The fall off in quality from 'Toolbox' going into 'Choose Your Fighter' is genuinely unbelievable. The sporadic highpoints throughout aren't worth listening to this entire project to discover.

From a production standpoint, the mixing often drowns the vocals whilst the Industrial instrumentations takes centrestage. This isn't good because sometimes the sound of this album is awful and I don't want to hear those sounds.
However, by far the biggest sin this album commits is just being really boring. It's a really boring album that I just can't get behind. That being said, the Nova Twins definitely have potential. If their sound was more refined and unique, then I could see myself enjoying future projects. However as it stands, this ain't it.

BEST TRACKS: Toolbox, Cleopatra, Puzzles

WORST TRACKS: Fire & Ice, A Dark Place for Somewhere Beautiful, Choose Your Fighter (Oh my god I hate this song so much)

Comments