Charli XCX - how i'm feeling now
Mar 13, 2021
200th review baby lets fucking goooooooo
After months of letting bands like 100 gecs and Death Grips grow on me, I decided to finally return to this album. Initially, when I listened to it in early 2020, I was very turned off by the abrasive production of the first track, pink diamond, but now that I'm into this shit? I absolutely love this. It really does retain that feeling of very early quarantine and sudden isolation. The loud and often harsh beats draw you in and really accentuate Charli's vocals to the point that they feel unbelievably human despite the heavy pitch correction being used. Every synth, every trap beat, every booming bassline feels intricately placed, and yet every song gives off a relatable and improvised tone. It's very good to see artists larger than most hyperpop acts diving into the genre and popularizing it even more, especially when it's this original and fun to listen to. I think if I had any complaints it would be that a lot of the vocal melodies are pretty simple and seem like basic pop stuff, but even then it's usually brought to life by the production. I'm so, so glad that I finally gave this album a second chance. Parklife!

Fav Tracks: forever; pink diamond; anthems; c2.0; visions; party 4 u; claws; 7 years; detonate
Least Fav Tracks: i finally understand; enemy (both are still decent songs tho)

2y
I totally agree with this review -- the production on this project is so refined and yet a bit rough, and it represents quarantine super duper well. It was also my introduction to Charli, so I love it to death!
2y
@SMTCubes i lied i just like the sex cover
sex!!!!!!!!