girl in red - if i could make it go quiet
Apr 30, 2021 (updated May 1, 2021)
Not gonna lie chief, I would have rated this higher if it was all just wlw anthems, but I understand that girl in red probably wanted to expand her reach and be known for something more than just songs like "girls" and "hannah" (though if you're going to be beloved by any community, I think lesbians are the coolest one possible).

(EDIT: just so there's no misunderstandings, i dont support the obnoxious stereotype that all lesbians listen to girl in red, or if you listen to girl in red you're a lesbian. i only think that some of her earlier stuff connected specifically with many people in the wlw community, myself included. Anyways, on with the review.)

Unfortunately, this project doesn't hit as hard as I'd been hoping. Where her previous work has had a distinctly underground, independant feel to it, every song on this LP sounds like I would have heard it on Florence + the Machine radio on Pandora in 2015. There is variation in sound, but each variant sounds so done-to-death and uninteresting that I just can't fully engage myself. "Hornylovesickness" sounds like a scrapped concept from Taylor Swift's 1989, whereas songs like "Body and Mind" and "You Stupid Bitch" sound like they're ripped straight from a post-2000s Fall Out Boy or Panic! At the Disco record. Production-wise, this album ranges from obnoxious ("Serotonin") to pretty good ("Did You Come", "Midnight Love"). The songwriting is also fairly inconsistent, with some verses being delivered with loads of emotion that's genuinely touching, and others being:

"I'm in New York thinking of you
Wondering what you are up to
From this lonely-ass hotel room
With a pretty good looking view
I am somewhere in the states
Going somewhere on a plane
It doesn't really matter as long as I'm
Always far away

Or maybe on a bus for months straight
Shit's fine, but I'm going insane
Like, it's been months since I've had sex
I'm just a horny little love sex"

However, even with these issues, I don't think this is a bad album. It's generic indie music for middle school art kids to cry to (I was a middle school art kid so I can say this), but it shows a lot of potential. If girl in red can combine the much improved production from this record with the things that made her past work so special, I think she could truly make something great. Hooba Hooba! (todd chavez reference)
Apr 30, 2021
I'm just a horny little love sex is the bar of the year (unless Eminem drops an album soon)
Apr 30, 2021
@realrealweasel i want eminem to be my horny little love sex
he almost 50 tho. i dont think his dick works anymore :methjoy:
Apr 30, 2021
@realrealweasel LMFAO fack really hasnt aged well huh
Apr 30, 2021
fack became poorly aged the moment in dropped lol
truuuu
May 3, 2021
Wait I like girls the song does that mean I'm lesbian by stereotype standards?
May 3, 2021
@Kaylon yes, you are gay
J. Cole - The Off-Season