Bon Iver - i,i
Aug 8, 2019
LMAO WTF IS UP WITH GUARDIAN. lemme just say, this is exactly what you'd expect from Vernon if you've been paying attention to his recent work with Big Red Machine as well as with 22, A Million. It's not as experimental and quirky as 22 was, but its not as dull as Big Red Machine was. It's at that sweet spot in between being too safe and too experimental. Amazing work from Justin as usual. I guess if i could describe the LP in 1 word it would be "blissful". It had just the right mix of everything, from his spectacular falsetto to the auto-tuned glitches he's now known for. It was perfectly balanced. The lyrics and themes were pretty consistent throughout the LP and the tracks flow into one another relatively well. I'm glad we get to hear more of Justin's natural voice as opposed to on 22 as it's really raw and adds more emotion to the tracks, as shown on the closer, RABi.

Fave Tracks:
iMi - Amazing opener. Carries the vibe of "22, A Million" with the vocal effects and layering. James Blake was a lovely touch

Hey, Ma - One of his simpler tracks but it was perfectly executed and balanced. A really enjoyable listen.

Jelmore - I didn't really enjoy this track when the single was first released but i'm hooked on it now. The "Broken" / glitchy sounds on it are *chef's kiss*

Faith - Similar vibe to Hey, Ma. Strong lyrics and as usual, perfectly executed.

Marion - The closest we're gonna get to that 2008 Bon Iver type music. Stripped down instrumentals with only slightly altered vocals.

Sh'Diah - This track blew me away. Vernon's signature falsetto shines through on this track and the sax at the end is orgasmic.

RABi - a perfect closer to a near perfect album.

Worst Tracks:
We - Not a bad track tbh but it's just not as stand out and is probably the most forgettable track in the LP. The production is still dope tho

Look, i know this review is all over the place, its 2am and i'm hyped leave me alone.
Comments