Big Thief - Dragon New Warm Mountain I Believe in You
Feb 12, 2022
I was listening to this album for the first time while sitting on my back porch staring at the woods. I was eating a bowl of cereal and was just having such a pleasant time listening to this record. I remember I was on the song 'Red Moon' and all of a sudden the trees that I was staring at turned more colorful. The bleakness that they once were turned a more of an orange-yellowish color. It's like colorblindness that I have flicked its switch and turned off for a couple of minutes.

This album to me is comfort. It can be really fun & lively at times but other times become weightless & somber, but it was never not comforting. I am in love with so much of this album and the diversity that it has is something that prevented me from ever becoming bored with the long runtime. The lyrics are thoughtful, and the vocals & instrumentation have so much to offer and really add to the campfire feel that these songs give off. A lot of captivating stuff here.

The stuff I didn't love didn't take away too much of my enjoyment, I think that this is pretty easily the best first listening experience I have had with an album this year. I thought that some of these tracks can be a little scattered with the instrumentation and left a messy impression on me. The song 'Time Escaping' is an example, but I think it's just a personal preference thing, I can still see the appeal that the song has along with everything else I didn't like THAT much. The album has amazing top-notch moments but not everything is necessarily "amazing" in the huge tracklist, but still, most of these songs are just great.

I loved it. I really do love this album. With more listens this could become one of my favorite albums by the end of the year, but who knows. Big Thief GREAT FUCKING SHIT LETSFUCKINGGOOOOOOO.

Best Tracks: Change, Spud Infinity, Certainty, DNWMIBIY, Sparrow, Heavy Bend, Flower of Blood, Red Moon*, Dried Roses, No Reason, Promise Is a Pendulum, Simulation Swarm*, The Only Place
Worst Track: Wake Me up to Drive

5mo
is this gonna be on the REVIEWING ALBUMS SECTION?