Polo G - The GOAT
Feb 25, 2021
Polo G's huge sophomore album, "The GOAT" is pretty one-note sonically, but gets it's point across.

The album really falls apart in the second half sound wise. Every song sounds the exact same after "21", and it becomes more of a snooze fest mixtape than a put-together album. There's tracks like "No Matter What", "DND", "33", and "Be Something" that just don't do anything for me at all. These tracks along with a couple others are basically the same song, Polo has some really great storytelling where he paints a picture in the listeners head but the way he delivers his bars is so monotonous. It gets boring after a while.

This album does have it's moments though, and they're all back to back in the first half. "Martin & Gina" is a nice change of pace from Polo's hood croons, "Flex" is pretty wavy and Juice WRLD's feature is really good, and "Go Stupid" is hard as fuck. "21", while it does start the monotony of the project, it's last real highlight with it's eery atmosphere.

So while I do think Polo's rapping style has some innate flaws, his lyrical ability and his stories keep him away from the red. The biggest offender on this album is the production. My god, the beats on this project fall flat on their faces after, again, "21". There's a strange mix on Lil Baby's verse, the instruments are as one-note and dead as they could be, and the trap drums & high-hats aren't interesting at all.

If I just read through the lyrics and not have listened to the music, I would've thought this would be in the 80s or maybe even higher. But the fact that the instrumentals are so bland and Polo's flow is so stagnant and unchanging in the second half, it feels like the writing is the only thing keeping this afloat outside the highlights. I didn't talk about "Wishing For A Hero" because it really needs no introduction. It's an amazing interpolation song with lyrics that really touch the heart, especially when the listener can relate to them personally. The rapping is fiery, serious, and full of emotion, and the chorus on the back of the track is genuinely beautiful.
Feb 25, 2021
Completely agree, great review! :)