Theory of a Deadman - Say Nothing
Feb 20, 2020
This album is not good. I'm just gonna throw that out there right off the bat. What annoys me most about this album is how effortless it sounds, and not in a good way, of course. It sounds like the band just threw everything that popped into mind, good or bad, on paper and eventually made the whole mess into an album. Lyrics are atrocious throughout the entire record, there are minimal memorable moments, and the vocals are annoyingly generic. The first track, "Black Hole In Your Heart", contained barely any substance. Other than a mildly memorable hook/chorus combo, there was nothing else to the song other than a short weird orchestral instrumental that kept popping up. Admittedly, that piece didn't fit well with the rest of the song anyway. Plus, the chorus was repeated way too often; there should've been more backing verses to add at least some support. Theory of a Deadman has been around for a while now. So that would explain why they sound so dated on this record. It sounds like this was released in the mid-2000s based on production. They don't save themselves lyrically either; this thing is a lyrical nightmare. "Affluenza" attempts to tell a story, but its songwriting is so bad that it fails in its efforts. It's honestly one of the worst songs I've heard this year. At least the title track is somewhat focused on a lyrical theme. It's about how a man screwed up his opportunity with a woman because he said the wrong things, so now he "says nothing". It's an unoriginal theme for sure, but at least it's somewhat cohesive. Those are pretty much the only tracks I had strong opinions on. The rest of the album is painfully forgettable. I'm glad this thing was only 37 minutes, I could not have taken much more of it.
Comments