Denzel Curry & Kenny Beats - UNLOCKED
Feb 7, 2020 (updated Mar 1, 2020)
when Zel goes hard, he goes HARD!!

Hip-hop extraordinaires, Denzel Curry and Kenny Beats, team up and combine their talents on this newest record, 'UNLOCKED'. Zel brings his heavy and energetic flows and lays them over Kenny's Madlib-inspired beats. It's only 26 minutes long, but that's okay when it's this good. There's so much killer material packed in such a small package. This is Zel's second good release this year...and we're not even 40 days into the year yet! 'UNLOCKED' definitely tops the '13LOOD 1N + 13LOOD OUT MIX' that he dropped in early January though. It's longer and it features better material. However, this still didn't blow me away or anything. It's good and probably the best hip-hop release we've seen so far this year, but in the end, it's just a short snippet compared to some of Zel's other works. But to be fair, this is just an EP apparently. And the fact that this includes contributions from Kenny Beats means it should be a lot better than it is; even though this is some of the best work I've heard from Kenny. I haven't heard a huge amount of his work though, so I guess that's not really saying much. Even though 'UNLOCKED' presents no new ideas or innovative tactics, it's still an entertaining little project. It's almost as if this was something Zel and Kenny just came up with on the spot or something. I can't ignore how unfinished it sounds, but if this is indeed just the beginning, then I am very excited to see the end.

By the way, the artwork is possibly the best thing about this release tbh. The visual skit/video on Denzel's channel that came along with it was incredible too.

ORIGINAL SCORE: 82