Mount Eerie - A Crow Looked at Me
Feb 16, 2020 (updated Aug 13, 2021)
'A Crow Looked at Me' is one of the most heartbreaking and passionate albums I've ever had the privilege of listening to. If you're not ready to cry, I would suggest putting this record off for a while. 'A Crow Looked at Me' is a depressive, yet hopeful album written entirely by Phil Elverum of Mount Eerie. The material was inspired by the death of Elverum's wife, Geneviève, who passed away from cancer in 2016. In this album, Elverum goes into great detail describing his life without her and the all-consuming grief of having someone you love leave this world. The lyricism is so vivid and real, yet it still feels like it was written so effortlessly. Of course, that's not a bad thing in this situation though. It just feels like Elverum emptied his entire spectrum of emotions onto the paper without attempting to sound clever or witty. It sounds very much like a stream of collected consciousness. I guess that's why his words seem so real. The songwriting will definitely put you in a sad mood, but his delivery is so natural and beautiful that it slightly raises your spirits. Why? Well, hearing these passionate songs written all for someone he loved made me realize how beautiful true love is. Love in its purest form is a very rare thing; it's so rare that some people never get the opportunity to experience it. But if you are one of the lucky ones who find true love, don't let it go. If all else fails, love is the one positive thing that this world will always have to offer. If you don't believe me, listen to this album and see for yourself. THIS ALBUM showcases the love that Phil Elverum had for his wife, which was so pure and so real. So if you ever feel lonely, depressed, or uncertain that you'll ever find true love, go give this beautiful album a listen. I promise you will be reassured.

Decent 8/10