Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven
Mar 19, 2019
In continuation with my previous reviews, let's try one of the most acclaimed post-rock records ever made.

Alright, you probably read the rating first and now you're boiling at the thought someone could have such audacity to not enjoy this. Let me start off; skinny fists is your ideal post-rock. Regardless of how people actually enjoy it as a full product, each instrument or 'texture' is crafted with care and they know what's up. The first five or more minutes of "Storm" are glorious, even if it's such a cliché thing to say, their entire opening build-up is beautifully presented.

Afterwards, what else can I really say? There are more captivating pieces that are clearly intended to be moving, such as sequences in "Sleep", but I'm not sure this is the life affirming experience everyone says it to be. You take take these minor snippets and eventually everything falls into proggish wankery which is a snore to get through. Despite this, people are really rating it over Wagner or Mozart's best pieces? I'm thinking those people haven't heard a lot of Wagner or Mozart! Simply using a variety of instruments against typical rock sequences doesn't make you akin/above those guys.

Not to mention, there's a lot of bites at political ideas in some tracks. In certain times you'll hear faint radio samples from media distorted under heart-pulling string arrangements or sequences. I don't know, but this just doesn't take me anywhere.
Mar 21, 2019
Oh well, you can't please everyone.
Jul 14, 2020
This is one of my favourite albums ever. But this review is fantastic.
miatriz