Weezer - Weezer (Teal Album)
Apr 11, 2021 (updated Jan 9, 2023)
WEEZER | CHAPTER TWELVE

At this point in time I literally have no idea what Weezer is doing anymore. I understand the whole Africa thing, and that was funny and all but did we seriously need a 36 minute cover album that is longer than their last two actual albums? No! Not a all! This has a few solid covers, mostly carried by how well Rivers’ voice fits on that particular song, but them changing up the song a little bit is appreciated. But honestly? This is very boring..so much so that I should give Maladroit and Hurley and Green an apology.

And it’s not even awfully made or anything. All instruments sound good, and Rivers’ voice sounds ehh at worst on here, and it’s also not overblown or poppy like the last album. Speaking of the last album, while still being bad this is a major improvement. Like there isn’t really a major pop sound on here despite a few pop songs on this record and that’s kinda neat.

But yeah, it’s just a lazy filler record with boring covers, sometimes mediocre singing, and whatever that Ozzy Osborne cover track was trying to do. It doesn’t effect me that much, so much so that I even gave it a few listens and there’s legitimate covers I like, such as “Africa”, “Take On Me”, “Sweet Dreams”, and “Mr Blue Sky” and Rivers’ vocals actually work on a few of those songs, but it’s kind of just a pointless slog that was put here to fill time until The Black Album...oh wait.

Favorite Tracks: Africa, Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This), Take On Me, Mr Blue Sky

Okay Tracks: Billie Jean

Least Favorite Tracks: Everything else honestly.

Comments