Sybyr - Deal With It
Jul 9, 2019
Unavailable statistics show that an average active AOTY user stumbles upon this album cover at least 3 times a day.
-At least once in your review likes
-At least once in review comments
-At least once in your user feed

No one knows who is behind this sorcery, but one can only assume that no harm will be done to you as long as you like Piñata more than Madvillainy. thomasny18 is our only suspect, but there's not enough evidence to close this case.

So, I finally decided to check out Sybyr cause this album cover has been stalking me for months now! From the "reviews" I've read for this, it seemed like this was going to be a pretty creative and fun experience. Going into this album, I was pretty excited to see what this underground rapper will have in store with Deal With It. Does it hold up?

Well, I'd say it's very hit-or-miss.

I still think it's a decent album though. I do appreciate and adore the imaginative, but also dark and in-your-face feel of this album. The creative span of ideas were lackluster, but interesting and there wasn't a moment in the tracklisting where I came out feeling underwhelmed. With that being said, though Deal With It has plenty of great moments, it also has some horrendous moments too.

The hit-or-miss experience I had with this began as soon as the album started. The intro track kicks off with this strange, watery beat that definitely got me pretty excited. However, as soon as Sybyr started grunt-rapping, it turned the song into a mess and I got immediately turned off! In contrast, the following two tracks were pretty great. I loved the production and his flow was very sharp. The Super Mario World beat on Heat Map was adorable, but as an uncultured swine, I wouldn't have noticed that it was Super Mario World if I didn't read the other reviews, lol!

The rest of the album definitely had its solid moments, especially in the production, which I thought was consistently good. In general, production holds up by itself, but Sybyr's delivery and vocals on some of the tracks are polarizing. For example, I thought the autotuned singing and rapping on Farce was obnoxious, the moan-rapping on Tailsman was.. legitimately unlistenable and the monotone hook on Nextel Ringe was annoyingly repetitive.

Meanwhile, In A Blink and Zoom (despite kinda sounding like a deeper Travis Scott-lite) take good advantage of the autotune to create a cloudy, somewhat psychedelic rap feel. Wanderin, on the other hand, is a very solid banger with amazing production.

So generally, I kinda liked Deal With It. There were definitely atrocious moments on this album that I would prefer to skip, but for an album that's really short, I can at least bear with it...sometimes. It's a pretty fun, creative album that doesn't overstay its welcome. Despite that, I do think it's a very flawed album. Most of my enjoyment came down to whether or not I liked Sybyr's delivery and performance on a track. The production is great, but sometimes it's ruined by the awful autotune and when he tries to be way more aggressive than he needs to.

FAV TRACKS: Heat Map; Wanderin'; Make A Dent, Not A Hole; In A Blink; Farce

LEAST FAV TRACK: Tailsman

MBDTF/10 (LIGHT 6) "IM THE FIRST 6/10 RATING LOL"
Inglume's Tags
Jul 9, 2019
Just waiting for Thomas to find this now
@PipePanic I just have
Jul 10, 2019
I'd honestly say I agree with your review almost entirely, but there's something about it that stops me from giving it lower than an 80. I guess I'm biased.
Jul 10, 2019
@thomasny18 Have you checked out any of his other albums/mixtapes? I'm currently listening to his other 2018 album and I'm digging it a lot more!
@Inglume I've listened to 2 EPs, Overthink Overextend and Latex Shawdy
Oh
@oh Homer is calling for you
thomasny18