black midi - schlagenheim
Jun 21, 2019
MY COLD CANADIAN ASS GOT REPEATEDLY POUNDED ON BY BRITISH DUDES FOR 43 MINUTES STRAIGHT.

Wow, I am very impressed with this debut, it's definitely one of the most distinct records I've heard all year! Black midi delivers a collection of very intriguing math rock songs that are not only creative in sound and takes promising risks, but showcases some of the most enjoyable, fun collections of distinct songs I've heard thus far in 2019!

You either love it or you hate it. When it comes down to the overall sound and sonic direction of this record, this thing is wild, intense and all-over-the-place, but it doesn't take you out of it. But don't take my word for it, listen to this for yourself! This album goes from noisy and chaotic, to toned-down and acoustic, to elegant and somewhat jazz-inspired.

It definitely sounds ridiculous that such a band can successfully incorporate all these musical influences ESPECIALLY on a debut album, but they do a pretty great job at blending everything together!

From front-to-back, this album is pretty packed with experimentation and pure creativity with not too many low-points. For me, there were moments instrumentally where I was not as engaged or intrigued. The vocal performances are fiery and varied, but are occasionally uninteresting compared to everything else. However, THIS is how you make a great debut album! One of my fav albums of the year!

I wasn't expecting very much from this week's set of album releases. Running through the "Upcoming" AOTY page last night, I saw Lil Nas X, black midi, Mark Ronson, Hatchie, Chris Brown (oh wait, that got moved to next week). So, I was not expecting to give any reviews for these new albums, which is why I even had interest in making a redux Speedin' Bullet 2 Heaven review. That is, until I saw the early ratings for this album...

My only exposure to black midi before today was the singles they've been releasing. I wasn't very impressed by them so I didn't have any high hopes for their debut, but I also didn't know how the direction they were gonna take with their music.

Needless to say, I was not disappointed at all with their debut. Worth the hype!

(Now it's time to listen to the surprise Death Grips release...)
May 30, 2020
That first line was very hot ngl :eyes:
miatriz