Red Velvet - 'The ReVe Festival' Day 1
Jun 19, 2019 (updated Jun 19, 2019)
So according to YouTube comment sections, this EP project and the lead-off single, Zimzalabim is considered as "π”Όπ•©π•‘π•–π•£π•šπ•žπ•–π•Ÿπ•₯𝕒𝕝 𝕂-ℙ𝕠𝕑"
Literally laughed for 10 minutes straight. I can't even breathe, send help!

This is a strange way for me to say "I'm back", but yes, I'm indeed back after my super long HORRIFYING 3-day hiatus. I was busy and had exams to do, went pretty well. Feeling good right now, how's everyone else doing?! :) (Happy belated birthday @thomasny18!)

Yes, 3 DAYS, that's a long ass time! I'm literally the King Gizzard of AOTY at this point!

Now that I'm officially back, I want to change up a few things with my reviews. For quite a while, I haven't been making reviews that I and probably many others would deem as good quality. I have been occasionally posting satisfying reviews but they're mainly buried beside all the silly, incredibly brief "reviews" and random thoughts that get worn out after a couple of days. Yet, those are the reviews from me that mainly get the most attention.

I don't want to develop a bad reputation for making incredibly silly, off-topic reviews, so I'm changing up my output. From now on, most of my reviews will be formatted like my Flamagra, Happiness Begins and Igor reviews. They'll start off with some brief introductory thoughts, then I'll dive more in-depth. Maybe once in a while, I'll throw in a silly little review just to lighten things up, but better reviews is what I'm aiming for!

I also have other ideas for the near-future, but I won't spoil the surprise, so you'll just have to deal with my shenanigans right now! Anyways, here's the review no one asked for:

Review:
The new Red Velvet project is a complete mess that doesn't sound like it has a clue of what it's trying to accomplish or do. Track after track, we get a series of not so fully-fleshed out ideas. This EP sounds like it's trying to push its boundaries as a novelty K-Pop release, but it totally falls flat. Simultaneously, it's trying too hard and not trying at all. Even though it seems to try to be obnoxious with the terrible production and excruciating mixing and vocals, it also happens to be a very BORING and one-dimensional release.

Literally, this EP goes through one ear and out the other. I've already forgot every single track. This is obviously not supposed to be some sort of conceptual album, but at least make it fun, colorful and kinda absurd. Instead, it's very disposable.
Jun 19, 2019
experimental for kpop. it's not inherently inventing something new of its own since its pretty heavily borrowed from other world music, but the sound from zimzalabim is still unusual in the kpop scene
Jun 19, 2019
@morningsbell I get your point about it perhaps being experimental by K-Pop's standards, but I don't think Zimzalabim is experimental just cause it sounds unusual. I've heard f(x) and EXO take plenty of unusual turns in their music and it was a lot more unique than what Red Velvet tries to do. They're really not pushing boundaries for the kpop scene imo.
Jun 19, 2019
Thanks for the happy birthday!

Also, yeah, I do also have that issue with posting lower quality "reviews", mostly just jokes. I often prefer my more "in-depth" ones, though it's the shorter ones that get the most attention (like that recent J Cole one). I've just been rating without a review a lot more often now because I felt in the past that I HAD to say something, even if it was crap what I was going to say. I would review in-depth frequently, but I'm just not there mentally for it, so...
Jun 19, 2019
sometimes if I can find a joke out the album, or its title, or the artist, then I do that. I feel very mixed about it because on the one hand it could make people laugh and often I didn't really have much to say about it anyway, but on the other I kinda feel bad doing them joke "reviews" especially when it's on an album where the top review is like really well written out, but only has like 3 likes cos it's years old. If there is that scenario, then I usually avoid reviewing it, or at least...
Jun 19, 2019
make some sort of effort in the review. Anyway, apologies for the rant.
Jun 19, 2019
@thomasny18 For a second I thought you were attempting to make my review filled with comments like Tino's Cosmogramma review but I appreciate your thoughts! I've had the same issue in the past where I just rapid-fire some quick reviews for pretty much every album. For the most part, I'm not proud of it and I regret looking back at my older reviews. I mean, that's the reason why I even have 500+ reviews, and I've reduced to just posting a review maybe once a day or every two days now.
Jun 19, 2019
that's why i don't consider the song "experimental kpop" but I think they did try to experiment
Jun 19, 2019
They certainly did try to experiment, but it didn't turn out too well lol
cfreemon
Pang
Angel Olsen - All Mirrors
Angel Olsen
All Mirrors
Foals - Everything Not Saved Will Be Lost (Part 2)
Foals
Everything Not Saved Will Be Lost (Part 2)
Big Thief - Two Hands