Thom Yorke - ANIMA
The new Thom Yorke album is...uh...uhmm...an album. It plays music. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't know what to say, I really don't. I've spent 3 hours just listening and trying to get through the entire album (admittedly not a good idea) and the entire time, I was just thinking, "Man, I wish I could just go outside right now and enjoy the fresh early morning sunshine." And so, during my final listen before I called it quits, I took my Bluetooth headphones, my phone and everything else I needed and just went outside to enjoy myself for a bit.

As I walked around my neighborhood park, I was just minding my own business like trying to listen to ANIMA, but then I saw a tortoise. A tortoise! A FUCKIN' REPTILE IN A LITTLE SUBURBAN PARK WHAAAATTTT?!?! Needless to say, I enjoyed myself. It was a good little walk and I got to admire the beauty of the nature around me.

Meanwhile, the album finished once I got back and I didn't remember a single thing! The only thing I faintly remembered was Thom Yorke's distant moans.

The overall concept of ANIMA seemed quite intriguing and gratifying to me at first, before I heard the album. As someone who had not been too interested in Thom Yorke as a soloist, I really anticipated for him to win me over with ANIMA. The simplicity and minimalist approach of ANIMA may have looked good on paper, but didn't translate into a satisfying or interesting product.

The main issue I have with ANIMA is how inessential it feels from start to finish, at least to me. The production and sounds presented on here generally piggy-backs off of Kid A and TKOL and not much else. Now, that wouldn't be a problem if ANIMA actually had its own sonic direction and presented something new to the Radiohead/Thom Yorke catalogue. Instead, it feels more like a throwaway B-sides project rather than something worthwhile, which is unfortunate. As someone who liked TKOL, I would've expected a more diverse and essential set of musical ideas.

I genuinely enjoy Thom Yorke as a vocalist. Most of the time, in his previous solo projects, his vocals outshine everything else. With ANIMA, I might as well not have known he was singing. On this album, I think Yorke lacks the expression and soul that really excels a Radiohead album and his older solo stuff. Plus, it's hard to even distinguish some of the vocal snippets apart. I could listen to two random tracks on this album and Yorke's uninteresting delivery would be pretty much identical to my ears.

And here's another problem I have: ANIMA is very stale and doesn't go anywhere musically. Every track on this album is essentially Thom Yorke moaning over electronic beats and there's occasionally a synth. That's it. The entire time, I was waiting for ANIMA to do something interesting. Apart from a few moments in each song, this album is boring and does nothing for me. My problem isn't that this album is simple, my problem is this album has no substance to back up its simplistic approach.

If you were to take away Thom Yorke's faint sex sounds (don't judge, that's what it literally sounds like to me), this might as well be a collection of "24/7 lofi hip hop radio - beats to study/chill/relax" tracks. THAT'S how inessential I think ANIMA is.

I've been reading quite a few reviews, and I do understand the appeal. However, as someone who was bored to death by this album, I feel the main reason it's getting so much attention is cause of Thom Yorke and that's it. If this was made by a more obscure artist, I doubt that anyone would be talking about it, if I have to be honest. I don't hate this album and I do appreciate what it is, but I definitely don't like it either. I don't expect to ever come back to this. There are so many other electronic albums in 2019 that I would rather listen to.

Suspiria was better. ANIMA is painfully average.

FAV TRACKS: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

LEAST FAV TRACK: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Nah
@KengojiUltamYT yes
Thanks
@thomasny18 wdym?
Jun 27, 2019
@Inglume I'm getting roasted (not that much) for not liking this album. Glad I'm not alone on this opinion on not really liking it.
Jun 27, 2019
You’re not alone at all. I’m with both of you guys on this.
Jun 27, 2019
We're definitely not alone. VP doesn't like this either, and VP really really likes everything lol
Jun 30, 2019
This is so cool to see because it sets in the perspective of music. It isn't just a tunnel, it's a field. Thanks for showing the scope of how people listen to music. Love this
Jul 1, 2019
great review dude, i especially liked the part about the turtle
Jul 3, 2019
bro wtf

albums play music? damn nigga i thought i was watching a gotdamn documentary this is a revelation
This is funny, for real