TWICE - Feel Special
Sep 23, 2019
"yo fr guys this new Twice EP?? really giving me heavy Behemoth vibes man" -ACreativeName, 2019

Biggest. Surprise. Of. The. Year. HOLY SHIT! I don't care what anyone says, this is fucking incredible!

K-Pop sensations, Twice, has come together once again as a 9-member group after an exciting and groundbreaking, but also treacherous year since their last mini-album, Fancy You. This time, Feel Special finds every member in top form as they journey through some of the brightest corners of K-Pop, hosting what is perhaps not only the most essential K-Pop album, but one of the most essential pop records of the decade!

At least, that's what I personally think. I don't expect many people on this site to enjoy this album very much. For those seeking a very inventive, out-of-this-world, mind-boggling pop album, this is not what you're looking for. Instead, what Twice and their label has essentially crafted is a series of some of the most consistent and remarkably enjoyable pop songs that's surprisingly wholesome, genuine and also a kick in the ass!

I don't really consider myself a K-Pop fan at all. Pop music in general isn't my cup of tea as I tend to dig deeper into much more atmospheric, time-consuming and progressive genres. But Twice has interested me for quite a while, especially after their last major release, Fancy You, a very well made and enjoyable K-Pop EP that saw the group heading for a new, refreshing direction! At least, as refreshing as mainstream pop music can ever get.

But then, I looked further into the group and noticed something that really broke my heart. While their world tour was in progress, one of the members, Mina (shown standing at the very middle in this album cover) apparently had fainted/collapsed on stage and updates following the incident indicated that she was suffering from a shocking anxiety disorder and had to leave. While I don't consider myself a ONCE (apparently, that's what their fandom name is), it is heartbreaking and unfortunate to witness all the tolls the corrupt Korean idol industry has had on those in the industry. The rabid and toxic stan culture associated with K-Pop music has certainly not helped either.

When it was announced that Mina was going to return for this comeback mini-album, I was interestingly curious to see what direction Twice would end up taking with Feel Special. Sure, they're managed by a big industry and label, but with more songwriting credits than ever before, it seems that now things are getting serious.

Goddamn, this EP is shockingly spectacular! It's surely not the most off-the-wall or inventive pop album out here in the slightest, but good lord, when it comes down to actual genuine enjoyment, there's really no pop album from this year that tops it! I'll even go so far as to say that almost no album from this year can actually go toe-to-toe with Feel Special! But that doesn't mean it ain't a very varied project. This is probably Twice's most ambitious project, with remarkable elements of UK garage, synthpop, synth funk and future house.

The production has improved exponentially since their Twicetagram days, this time, with even more flavor and charm! And that's the thing about this EP and Twice recently in 2019, their chemistry and charm is undeniable! It's really what's made them stand out so much with Feel Special. Despite being one of the biggest industry machines of South Korea, they are one of the most interesting K-Pop groups out there right now. And this time, they've blown me out of the water with something truly unique and...Twice.

In terms of concept, this is no doubt their most wholesome, down to earth and mature release yet! It's still very much a pop album with pretty standard lyrics, but there truly are moments here that do leave an impact. For sure not the most original album stylistically, but it sure as hell nails the execution!

The title track is an incredibly punchy, pop banger that's very unique for Twice. However, looking down into the lyrics, there's a much different story. It's genuinely a somewhat depressing track with lyrics like "Like no one would notice me when I'm gone, but then I hear you calling me. I feel loved, I feel so special." Honestly, really emotionally touching! Rainbow is a great transition into a very upbeat, chorus-defining and exciting track that's really sweet! Get Loud, on the other hand, is a hard-hitting K-Pop banger that really takes advantage of its colorful style into a well-assembled pop track where every member fits in excellently (although, to be fair, that's literally the entire EP in a nutshell, just Twice members building each other up). Trick It has some amazing production, some more modern Western styles, and a fantastic buildup and hard-hitting chorus. And then there's Love Foolish. The production on here, OH MY GODD. OH MY GODDDDDD. The production is just K-Pop on steroids! On top of that, Momo really did an amazing job helping put together this Behemoth of a track! 21:29 is a well deserved slow moment that's just very heartwarming, mellow, and features some of Twice's strongest vocal performances! K-Pop in general has this bad habit of ending a project with a slow pop snore, but in this case, they definitely pull a through! The Korean version of Breakthrough is an odd way to finish the album, but definitely doesn't feel out of place! Like with the original Japanese version, the track is an amazing pop fusion of electro and synth funk. Without a doubt a solid end to a fantastic project!

Overall, I absolutely loved this album, a lot more than I'd like to admit! To me, even though this is very much a standard K-Pop project, there's really not a single moment on Feel Special that I'm not too fond of. Maybe, maybe the vocals can get a little shaky, but that's about it! This is probably very strange to say, but Twice has managed to replicate the epic experience I get with lengthy Swans and Godspeed You! Black Emperor albums into K-Pop form. My mind has been fucked! I totally will get why some may find this album boring, stale, generic, dull, annoying, or anything similar though.

I don't expect anyone else to love this record as much, but to me, Feel Special is Twice's Magnum Opus, a true, shiny gem and by far the best, most enjoyable K-Pop record of all time.

Yeah, kick my ass and call me crazy, but this is by far one of the best albums of the year.

FAV TRACKS: Love Foolish, 21:29, Breakthrough (Korean Ver.), Trick It, Feel Special, Get Loud, Rainbow

LEAST FAV TRACKS: N/A
Inglume's Tags
I KNEW IT WAS YOU WHO HAD ADDED THESE TAGS
INGLUME, I LOVE YOU SO MUCH, I SWEAR TO *GOD*
Sep 23, 2019
pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop

Sep 23, 2019
yay this is my big moment
Sep 23, 2019
@ACreativeName your wish has finally come true :)
Sep 24, 2019

Sep 24, 2019

Sep 25, 2019
bruh... i love you bruh...
Sep 27, 2019
Ay man 👍
Sep 27, 2019
Your time is up, I see through your ruse. Admit it: you only gave this album a good score because you enjoyed it 😤😤😤