Thy Catafalque - Naiv
Jan 29, 2020 (updated Jan 30, 2020)
[Album of the Month: January]

Continuing their catalog of consistent artistic reinvention, Thy Catafalque's 10th studio album is an elegant culmination of orchestral, jazz, traditional folk and metal with familiar conceptual elements of Hungarian folklore, delivered in an atmospherically dense, meticulously arranged cacophony.

In spite of its diversely worldwide influences, the alluring soundscapes which strip away the harsher black metal sound for a more conventional folk aesthetic is, in a way, a testament to this record's impeccable reflection of Hungary's rich history and mythology. Mythology which dates back to the 5th and 6th century, following the collapse of the traditional Western Roman Empire and the transition into Hun and Germanic rule. Groups which have settled the region at the time such as the Ostrogoths and the Lombards spread their divine beliefs among a general population. Delving into this era of Hungarian history, one would unravel many of the core spiritual aspects that define Hungarian folk culture: mythical creatures, some of whom portrayed as deities, visually represented in the form of spirits and animals. Complex otherworldly beings with magical powers representing a multitude of things (e.g. The Devil Spirit, "Lidérc" and Markoláb, a being who consumes celestial bodies, to name a few).

Undoubtedly, there is a rather holy, divine and mythical aspect encased in the bulk of this album's colorful content. Chillingly potent and poetic, Naiv, following the footsteps of Thy Catafalque's other records like Meta, often feels like a transportation into a spiritual land unheard of and untouched by the conscious human mind. Yet, the journey in which you embark on into this mystical world is rather inviting and intimate, as displayed by the orchestral instrumentation, jazzy elements on "Tsitsushka" and the addition of haunting, soothing female vocals to contrast the monstrous metal aggression and avant-garde flavor. For a record with so much attention to detail and progression, often the most defining moments stem from the little additions to the record that very much elevate an otherwise familiar album into its own distinct unit. This is a trait commonly shared by most Thy Catafalque albums with each new direction, and Naiv has certainly proved to be yet another fantastic addition with its own appealing identity.

Highly recommended, check this shit out!

FAV TRACKS: Tsitsushka, Embersólyom, A valóság kazamatái, A bolyongás ideje, Szélvész, Napút

LEAST FAV TRACKS: Kék madár (Négy kép)
Inglume's Tags
Jan 30, 2020
Great review! I was hoping I would see one from you, maybe I'll write one up sooner or later. One thing, I believe that Thy Catafalque is technically a solo project now, I think the second member left. Hard to find a lot on the band but it seems to be confirmed by their band camp page.
Jan 30, 2020
@Aoaystheory It seems that Thy Catafalque's been pretty much a solo project ever since 2011. It is difficult to keep track of a lot of groups especially when there's so little information about them. Thanks for pointing that out, I guess I've just assumed it's always been a duo because of the Meta (2016) album cover, lol.
No problem!
Jan 30, 2020
Okay. I definitely need to check this album.
Jan 30, 2020
@WhatTheFunk Would suggest a good chunk of their discography too, if you're interested in the rest. Their 2016 record Meta and their 2009 and 2011 releases are among my favorites!
Jan 30, 2020
huh i’ll have to check it out
Jan 31, 2020
@Inglume I've listened to Meta and Geometria in the past, I think now I have to focus on their older works such as Rengeteg or Tűnő Idő Tárlat (I saw that you gave excellent ratings to these albums).
patton