♥ GOJII ♥ - Wishing Star
Jan 3, 2020 (updated Jan 3, 2020)
It's only been 3 days and I already hear annoying people complaining 'bout how 2020 will "SUCK" for music. Frankly, I'd much rather have it start off absolutely atrocious, then gradually improve. It keeps expectations low and gives room to truly enjoy the quality material when they eventually come out.

With that being said, I don't think I'd tolerate this if it came out later in the year. The nauseating repetition and overly colorful beats make this rather short EP obnoxious, even on an empty musical stomach. A redeemable quality is its simplistic and vibrant style, but even then I cannot stress how irritatingly dizzying the sound of this record is. Had it been a few tracks longer, I probably would've just vomited all over the floor. It reminds me of the strong distaste I have for fast-food restaurants, especially the ones who think adding more sugar to their sweets and drinks = tastiness. There's more that goes into flavor than just sugar or salt. Adding too much of either one by themselves will only make customers sick and uncomfortable.

That's Wishing Star in a nutshell. Too much sugar, too much color. Too little flavor, too little taste. Walked out of this empty-handed, there was just a lot missing. Time wasted, and that ain't fun!

FAV TRACKS: Pop!, Raiinbow (?)

LEAST FAV TRACKS: the rest of 'em
Inglume's Tags
Jan 3, 2020
"With that being said, I don't think I'd tolerate this if it came out later in the year" Exactly, I only have the patience for this garbage when there's literally nothing else
Jan 3, 2020
Honestly I can see why you rated it this lowly. Just had prior experience to music similar to this. Definitely wasn't anything new but it still had moments where it was fun for me.
Jan 3, 2020
I honestly think these releases are getting way too much credit. Even on the negative spectrum. January is usually the month where records like these get rushed out because labels aren't dropping any releases. A.K.A. easier , yet gimmicky exposure. Maybe we'll find something special, but I wouldn't count on it.
Jan 4, 2020
@ThrowBackG On the bright side, it's kinda refreshing to see some of these smaller artists get some exposure for once, instead of the same ol' same ol', regardless of quality. I have my hopes up to find something special, now that there's less major releases to hype about and more time for some digging! I don't mind stuff like this getting attention, there's definitely an audience for it.
Jan 4, 2020
@ThrowBackG That's a fairly pessimistic view. I find January to be a great time for music because due to no big releases you can usually find good indie music. And while sure that may be a "gimmick" I think that any exposure is good exposure.
@inglume @toasterqueen12
I can understand that, and I'm down for it, but you can't deny that there ARE albums being cranked out for easy exposure. (Not all releases, let me make myself clear.) I mean, this concept isn't new. People who love cinema say this all the time. It's just naturally a slow month. That said, I hope something comes along that rattles my expectations. I just don't expect it.
Jan 4, 2020
@inglume I think this situation happens every year, I remember back in last year, January wasn't really promising during the first two weeks, but then with a few months we look back to January releases and there were albums we didn't notice at all, it happened to me with Jaago, just you wait until March/April and we'll start looking back to these projects :)
Jan 4, 2020
@(ThrowBackG) yeah but albums and movies are wildly different things. You can Crank out an album on an hour but you can't do the same for a film. The reason January is so bad for movies is that it's in the middle of award season and blockbusters, so it's just movies the studio had no idea who wants it, but albums don't nessisarly have a cycle. "Experimental music" comes when it wants to come. Also idk, so far we've seen a wide variety of releases that I feel all have their own form of effort to them. And I suspect that we'll be able to look back at them with at least mild fondness/interest.
Lets not forget when Rosenstock dropped WORRY on Jan 1. Good things can happen
Jan 4, 2020
@Aoaystheory You mean POST- right?
Jan 5, 2020
@Plats oh shit, definitely what I meant. both are great imo
Oreox4