Eminem - Music To Be Murdered By
Jan 17, 2020 (updated Jan 20, 2020)
New Eminem Album + "I'm talking euthanasia, like kids in Taiwan." + AOTY = Rating Distribution gets Kamikazed by 0s and 100s. Gee, what a surprise!

Music To Be Murdered By, though a commendable improvement from the dreadful junkyard mixing/production of Revival and Kamikaze, continues to showcase some of Eminem's worst, most fatuous bars on top of the most bleak set of songs he's ever put onto a full-length studio album. The result is a long-winded, uninteresting sea of mediocrity, despite some redemption courtesy of alright features, better-furnished beats and slightly catchier hooks (if you can call them that).

Putting aside the apparent "concept" Eminem tries to accomplish, this is perhaps the Eminem equivalent of Drake's More Life as a collaborative project: long, boring, filled with soulless filler and "trendy" feature artists. The interesting thing about both these blatant cash-grabs, they share one aspect in common: the feature artists are the ones that give the records their slightest bit of flavour. On this LP, it's typical for artists like Anderson .Pakk, Young M.A., Royce de 5'9", Black Thought, Juice WRLD and even Ed Sheeran (whose performance isn't even particularly bad) to outshine Eminem. Eminem seems to be the Achilles' heel of his own record, spending too much time drowning in his ego, unlikeable attitude and lack of self awareness to deliver much in terms of actually interesting content.

Now that doesn't mean every moment Eminem shows up in is downright awful, but I digress. Truth is, no one wants to hear "Old Man Yells At Cloud" Eminem rap about his "critics" once again on a record that does so little to solidify his skills and relevancy in the current rap generation. That's what continues to make every new release of Eminem so dull and painfully frustrating on an "artistic" standpoint. "You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain".

This may not be Eminem's worst album (honestly his best in 7 years by a small margin) in the sense that it's plainly mediocre rather than offensively bad, but it serves as perhaps one of his least essential, forgettably dry studio albums yet, devoid of creativity, colour, artistic integrity, hardly feeling like an album at all.

FAV TRACKS: Yah Yah, Lock It Up, Marsh, Godzilla, Darkness

LEAST FAV TRACKS: Stepdad, Farewell, Premonition, No Regrets
Inglume's Tags
Jan 17, 2020
“Old Man Yells at Clouds” is a good way to put this. Lol. Wouldn’t have made that connection
Jan 17, 2020
yes i gave it close to a 0 because im biased and not because i think the album is terrible
Jan 17, 2020
@Mellow I don't mind people who have a legitimate reason of not liking the album. I'm referring to those who couldn't care enough to listen to the album yet still had to drop a 0 rating because "haha Eminem bad"
Jan 17, 2020
Except I actually believe it’s that bad, truly
but inglume
Jan 17, 2020
This album is so bad that it deserves every 0 and unfunny joke coming its way.
Jan 17, 2020
@JohnnyB1965 I respect your genuine hatred for this album, lol. I guess if that's how you see it, then sure, time to rapidfire 0s!
Jan 17, 2020
It’s worse than Revival imo, but at least I didn’t give it a 0. I think I gave it a 29. I don’t mind if anyone give 0’s if they give legitimate reasons, but most of everyone is just spewing memes on here for some reason.
Jan 17, 2020
@evancool It's just indicative of how Eminem isn't taken seriously anymore. The fact that "one of the greatest rappers of all time" is getting reviews like "You're white lol" is both sad and hilarious.
Jan 17, 2020
Your Fav tracks are the worst on the album πŸ˜‚πŸ™ˆ deluded review
Jan 17, 2020
Thank you for pointing out this problem in the community. I've been noticing it for a while now, and I'm glad somebody's said something.
Jan 18, 2020
Stepdad is truly one of the worst songs I've ever heard.
Jan 18, 2020
Wow...just wow. I’ve spoken to at least 10 people in person and they all LOVE this album and they love Kamikaze also. Why? BECAUSE THEYRE FIRE. You guys don’t know what good music is. But hey, you guys are the loser no life’s that spend your free time reviewing stuff...most virgin shit I’ve ever heard of πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ get a life morons
Jan 18, 2020
@SamuraiMusic you'll never get laid with a name like that
Jan 18, 2020
@SamuraiMusic You're the one who's defending a D-tier white rapper on a music review site without gaining a penny while doing it, who here needs to get a life?
lol
Jan 18, 2020
I'm surprised how even Ed sheeran could out shine em
Jan 18, 2020
Inglume, you are seriously fucking retarded, don't hate on Eminem, you're just being salty
Jan 18, 2020
@CBreezy22 Well I'd love to hear what you think about this album since there's a serious lack of positive reviews, but it seems you've rated nothing. :(
Jan 18, 2020
I think the album is good, not Eminem's best album, but certainly not worst. The beats, editing, production, lyrics and content is very good, Kamikaze gets a lot of hate for lacking content, but there is certainly a lot of good content in MTBMB and let's be honest, the bars and syllables are brilliant, Em is the best lyricist ever. I think 49 is just being salty, personally I would say it's anything between 75-85
U did not just say Young MA outshined Eminem 🀦🏿‍♂️
Jan 19, 2020
This is a very nice and generous review/rating. Damn near close to a 50, which is the threshold for “tolerable” in my books. I commend you for being able to almost tolerate this album, because I have no idea how I even got through a single listen. I agree that the beats feel at least a little bit cleaner and costlier this time around, but it’s hard for me to personally award points for that when
1. the terrible lyrical content (imo) massively outweighs any shred of good that can possibly be pulled
2. while the beats are cleaner and more audible, they are still outdated and boring.
and 3. Ed Sheeran is on this album being Ed Sheeran.

Great review. Good job for being nice, because I definitely wasn’t in my review.
Jan 19, 2020
eminem fans are professional virgins πŸ˜‚
Jan 19, 2020
In all honesty giving Em a 0 is not just at all. MTBMB is actually pretty good and definitely way better than Kamikaze. He could use better beats for SOME of the tracks but overall I'd give it an 85. I just wish more people would give him the respect he deserves and the ratings he deserves rather than spew out 0s. I respect everyone's opinions but as soon as I see a rating of 0 I skip the comment and label it as BS. Most that give 0s are just hating and haven't even listened to the music.
Jan 19, 2020
@TrueLyrical While there are some people who genuinely believe this album is bad enough to be worthy of a rating at least very close to a 0, my take is that some of the ratings are perhaps overexaggerated by existing negative bias. Since Em's previous streak of albums were critically panned, a lot of people still have a bad taste in their mouths from their awful experiences with Revival and Kamikaze.

Point is, had this not been an Eminem album, the ratings overall wouldn't be so low or so high. It'd probably be somewhat average.
Jan 20, 2020
It takes a lot more (or technically, a lot less?) for an album to be a zero imo.
Jan 20, 2020
Havent listened to the full album only watched the darkness video. The lyrics were pretty bad the flow was worse the beat forgetful and the message was trash for anyone who is pro second amendment. I honestly love eminem I like the vast majority of his music but I dont really want any part of this album if his song darkness is any indicator of how the rest of the album will progress. I give that song a zero even if it wasnt anti gun it's just not a replayable song for me. After reading reviews about the album I dont feel bad not buying this one & honestly I've bought every eminem album at least once.
Jan 20, 2020
UPDATES: A few adjustments to FAV and LEAST FAV TRACKS. Unaccommodating lost its appeal on me incredibly fast, Lock It Up stuck out very much positively, partly thanks to Anderson .Paak feature and solid Eminem delivery. Marsh has become the ultimate "so bad it's good" song, really entertaining track! And No Regrets is insanely uninteresting. Score very much remains at a very strong 4.
Jan 21, 2020
@Inglume I agree heavy, bro
Jan 21, 2020
It seems that Eminem fans have no valid responses to this review. I wonder why...
Jan 24, 2020
red bad! give good rate to fast man rap please!
Feb 1, 2020
As much as I disagree with most of the things said here, I respect it and I understand why you'll actually feel that way, and the fact actually listened and gave your honest opinion is actually great considering most of this people actually just slapped it with a 0 because "it's eminem"...
"Ems fan base has been reduced to essentially a bunch of entitled white pricks who are borderline racist and homophobic and just all around obnoxious"
"Eminem fans are virgins"
"it seems that eminem fans have no valid response to this review"

Ironically that exactly describes a typical eminem hater, most of the idiots here are white virgins stuck in their mothers basement doing drugs and listening to trap music