Dalai Lama - Inner World
Jul 6, 2020 (updated Jul 7, 2020)
"Music has the potential to transcend our differences. It can return us to our true nature of warm-heartedness."

Earlier today, I had the honour of celebrating the Dalai Lama's 85th birthday with my ill mother by her bedside, and in our moment of tranquillity, we recited the “om mani padme hum” mantra together in the hopes of a brighter future. To say I was taken aback by 'Inner World' would be an understatement. What's more enriching is perhaps what it represents. Confronted by a dying Tibetan culture and 60 years in exile, the Dalai brings his message of humanity and harmony through the meditative, appealing form of music. "The very purpose of my life is to serve as much as I can. Music can help people in a way that I can't."

To be brief, this is not another Pope Francis - Wake Up! Despite its deficiency in Traditional Tibetan flavour at certain points, the music adheres to its source material in beautifully imaginative ways. Even with some restraints, Inner World enriches itself so naturally, I am only stunned by the surprising results. Composed of 30 instruments, the compositions blend in effortless fashion. As the Dalai recites his mantras, the calming atmosphere he builds with these arrangements is powerfully relieving.

Seeking composure and reciting the mantras presented in these 11 tracks, I found myself lost in the ambience, submerged in the Dalai's prayers, losing my train of thought as the gentle Tibetan harmonies come flowing down. To some, Inner World is nothing but a passing moment. To others, it is a surprising gift. Its musical and philosophical appeal proves limited, but its spirit universal. As someone with part-Buddhist heritage in my blood, Inner World was a powerful journey, a musical moment hardly cliché in its presentation, always moving in its genuineness. On a personal note, I'm also proud to say it's only touched my heart and brought me closer to my loved ones more than ever.

FAV TRACKS: All of 'em.

LEAST FAV TRACKS: None (Only certain moments on each track which take away from the experience)

For anyone worried: My mother is fine, just a little under the weather so I paid her a little visit. Inner World was a nice gift.
Inglume's Tags
Jul 6, 2020
Bruh you're gonna make me tear up
Jul 6, 2020
One of my favorite reviews of yours, this is very touching

This is one of the rare occurrences where context has caused me to re-evaluate a score
Jul 7, 2020
Beautifully written man
Jul 8, 2020
<33333
Jul 10, 2020
Lovely review ❤ Wishing the best for you and your mother.
Jul 11, 2020
Thanks everyone. Wish you all the best as well <3
Jul 13, 2020
ur mother is gonna fuck that illness up and make it her bitch!!! great review, sending hugs x
SirTristan