AOTY 2019
Fishmans - 98.12.28 男達の別れ (98.12.28 Otokotachi no Wakare)
Apr 18, 2019
If I was ever asked the question, "What are the most beautiful things about life?", one of my answers will have to be: listening to Shinji Sato's angelic and heavenly live vocals for the very first time.

This really is a special album, one that wouldn't have nearly as great of an impact if it was not recorded live or if Shinji Sato was still alive to record more studio albums with Fishmans. This live album represents a closing chapter to an iconic band's story, and the story is one that will sit with you until the end of times. Fishmans helped define the dream pop genre, and they just so happen to be one of my favorite artists of all time.

This album really displays their true colors. It's raw, emotionally challenging at times, and certainly hooks you into the dreamy, gorgeous soundscapes of the music. It may be just one long piece of music, but it's one that never fails to keep things interesting, challenging, and heart-warming for the listener. You may find yourself wanting even more cause 40 minutes with this live album flies by so quickly!

I've always wished that Shinji Sato was still alive and found more success with the band as time went on. I've always wished the band's legacy did not just stop here. It just seemed too early for a band to end their journey with so much potential in their hands. But, I've learnt to appreciate this album for what it is: a farewell album. It would have been great to see the band progress further, but there's no other album that could've served as a more fitting end to the Fishmans journey than this one!

We need to appreciate more of what we have, because nothing lasts forever. Life is short, but that shouldn't discourage you from doing the things you love. Shinji Sato never realized that his life would get cut short and sucked away from him, but that didn't stop him. He sang till he couldn't sing any more. I know all of this can be sad to think about, but I will leave off this review with an iconic quote.

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."
Comments