If the whole world goes to ruin and we all get offed tomorrow, hit me up at the local pub. I'll be jamming out to this album on loop, chugging down an entire box of Corona Extra, and dancing like a goddamn restless lunatic in my underwear until I inevitably shit my pants, get a severe seizure and drop head-first onto the stage floor. I'd like to think that's exactly how David Byrne would go out, rock on you superstar!

At times breathtaking, at times moving, yet endlessly energetic and ridiculously groovy is, for a lack of better words, extraordinary. In the creative height of Talking Heads, their output proved to be eccentric and unrivaled, without jeopardizing the catchy, infectiously tight rhythmic style that gave them their unique appeal to begin with. Taking full advantage of the resources available at the time, they composed songs, beautiful, captivating songs alongside intensely fun tunes that would be passed on dearly from one generation to another.

With the departure of Brian Eno, Talking Heads stripped back their abstract, anxious Fear of Music/Remain In Light sound for a more contemporary, easy-going record. Speaking In Tongues ultimately serves to be Talking Heads' victory lap, a celebratory, "we made it" moment to look back on at last with a smile. Considering the haunting, gloomy records that preceded it, a moment of fulfilling joy on a Talking Heads record is surely refreshing and well-deserved. Even following the unparalleled Remain in Light with such a sonically restrained effort, Speaking In Tongues doesn't fail to keep up the creative momentum. The rhythms are composed beautifully, David Byrne's playful, anxious energy is more focused than ever before, blending effortlessly with the colorful, sugary palette. The more mainstream, new wave 80's dance rock approach doesn't seem advantageous for such a band on paper, but David Byrne and company embark on a wild ride to put their own inventive spin on some otherwise outdated sounds, making it very much still a Talking Heads record from head to toe, and certainly a fantastic one! In a time where the band was at its artistic peak, they churned out what is perhaps nine (ten counting the bonus track) of the wildest, endlessly enjoyable, passionate, unforgettable, mind-boggling bangers of the 1980s.

Talking Heads, from my own personal mindset, seemed to be a band of supernatural, dystopian origins, given their nervous energy and bizarre song topics. This album is no exception. As a matter of fact, I'd imagine most of their discography would be a very fitting soundtrack for a post-apocalyptic world. Makes me wonder, when my future descendants inevitably have to survive off a crippled Earth, perhaps this is the best chance I'd get to deliver to them a spiritual message:

"Hey, sorry about being inconsiderate and ripping apart the planet for all you future dwellers, know it's not your fault. Here's a couple of Talking Heads CDs I saved just for you in this protective safe. Best of luck out there, see you on the other side."

FAV TRACKS: Burning Down The House, Making Flippy Floppy, Girlfriend Is Better, Slippery People, I Get Wild/Wild Gravity, Swamp, This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody), Moon Rocks, Pull Up the Roots, Two Note Swivel (Unfinished Outtake)

LEAST FAV TRACKS: n/a