MF Doom - Mm.. Food
Jul 8, 2019
Grandpa DOOM is cooking something tasty in the kitchen. I think I smell...an AMAZING rap album, crafted with DOOM's finest secret ingredients!

Now THIS is the type of music I EAT to! When I met up with some of my elementary friends for the first time in a decade, we set up a little barbeque in a nearby park. I decided to play this for them, and it was great! My friends know NOTHING about hip hop, and one of them even asked,

"Is this Drake?" lol

MM..FOOD is one of those hip hop albums I never thought I needed, but I would gladly want more of in my life! Like, when was the last time food crossed over with rap and it made a hip hop classic?! If you take away the "hip-hop classic" part, the two examples I can think off the top of my head is "Superfast Jellyfish" from Plastic Beach and the MF Grimm gingerbread man album. Superfast Jellyfish is an amazing Gorillaz song and MF Grimm...WE DON'T TALK ABOUT HIM HE'S IRRELEVANT. There's definitely more, but I'm not in the mood to think right now. :/

As someone who really enjoys a lot of MF DOOM, MM..FOOD is an undeniably fun experience that I always come back to! I mean, considering that I play this sometimes while I eat, this might be my most listened to album, lol! This album is as obsessed about food as I (and many people) am, and it sure does it in a clever, humorous and creative way!

From the very beginning of Beef Rap, you get a sense of just how exactly the rest of the album is gonna sound and how everything comes together. There's a lot of obscure and rough sampling. The majority of MM..FOOD is incredibly dominated by colorful, vibrant and fun instrumentals. Despite MF DOOM literally being the main artist, he only seems to rap like 40% of the time. While this may be a problem for those that just want to hear some great raps, I personally think that the instrumental sections in the middle of the album are left underappreciated! Yes, I also wish that some moments were cut down to leave room for DOOM, but I just love how thematic it makes the album feel!

I haven't even talked about MF DOOM yet. MY GOD..HE ABSOLUTELY TOASTS THIS ALBUM! His wordplay and lyricism is among one of the reasons why he's one of my all-time favorite rappers! The album itself may be accessible, easy-going, eccentric and pleasing to the ears, but DOOM elevates it. His presence on this album is consistent, potent, but also thoughtful and intricate at times too! Meanwhile, the features are amazing too! I absolutely loved Count Bass D on Potholderz and Mr.Fantastik on the Space Oddity-sampled Rapp Snitch Knishes is one of the most iconic moments in rap...PERIOD.

This and Vaudeville Villain are definitely the go-to albums in MF DOOM's discog after Madvillainy. If you love fun, colorful, charismatic and clever rhymes and beats, this album is the essential appetizer!

FAV TRACKS: Beef Rapp, Hoe Cakes, Potholderz, One Beer, Deep Fried Frenz, Kon Karne, Guinnesses, Kon Queso, Rapp Snitch Knishes, Vomitspit, Kookies (the new and old version are both amazing)

LEAST FAV TRACK: Fig Leaf Bi-Carbonate
Jul 8, 2019
Wait so ur telling me this ISNT drake????🤯🤯🤯
Jul 8, 2019
I once played Billy Woods and a friend thought it was Jay-Z even tho Spotify doesn't have Jay-Z and they sound nothing alike
itsyahboinoah