Queen - A Night At The Opera
Aug 5, 2019
Queen is the J.Cole of 70s rock music. Toxic Queen stans make me wanna dip my head in frying oil.

If you clicked on this and saw the rating thinking that this was gonna be another one of those "QUEEN IS THE MOST OVERRATED BAND" reviews, then you're wrong! I hate using the term "overrated" to describe music, mostly cause it's all subjectivity at the end of the day. You can like anything you want, as long as you don't act like a dick about it! Simply saying that something is overrated/underrated really doesn't add anything to the discussion, at least from what I've seen.

I just don't care about Queen. Never actually understood all the hype. I didn't understand what was so "groundbreaking" and "iconic" about their clichéd 70s pop and hard rock songs. Is there anything wrong about making fun, catchy, exciting stadium rock like Queen? Definitely not. I understand why they have left an impact on so many people over the years with their triumphant, blood-pumping hit songs. Freddie Mercury is also a very talented vocalist and performer that undeniably excels on stage!

Initially, I remember somewhat liking this album and that was it. There was nothing that really caught my attention. Like the other Queen albums, they were just...fine. So, I finally decide to give Queen, specifically this album, an extra chance. Maybe they'll grow on me?

Uh...no. A Night At The Opera perfectly lays out all of the recurring problems I have with Queen's music. What's supposed to be fun, exciting and uplifting ends up really falling flat. Goddamn, I was bored listening to this! None of these tracks feel essential or genuine. In my opinion, they sound a lot more cheesy and ridiculous, and not in a good way. Some songs do try to take a more unique direction, but it doesn't amount to anything. The instrumentation also sounds really ugly and listening to the album feels like a chore. Bohemian Rhapsody is quite an ambitious moment and breath of fresh air in context, but I've never been a fan of that iconic song.

I get why Queen has a genuine audience nowadays, especially with their biggest hits, but I've somewhat felt that most of it was driven by Freddie Mercury being a fantastic stage performer. I sometimes wonder, out of all the big, pop rock bands of the 70s, why Queen? It just feels odd to me why their sound is considered so "refreshing" and "groundbreaking" for the 1970s. In 1975, the same year that this album came out, Brian Eno released Another Green World, and I'd argue that album had a more defining and refreshing impact on the music world even though it may not seem like it (might do a review of it in the future).

I won't call Queen an overrated band. I just don't like them. Feel free to enjoy Queen all you want, I'll just be listening to something else instead.

FAV TRACKS: Bohemian Rhapsody

LEAST FAV TRACKS: Sweet Lady, God Save The Queen
Aug 9, 2019
Fantastic review, even tho I love this album with all my heart I still agree with some points you made.
Aug 11, 2019
I... agree
Aug 12, 2019
Is there a way this can be both refreshing and boring? Because I agree with both of those.
IvoBraga