BROCKHAMPTON - Saturation III
Aug 8, 2019
SISTER/NATION is the DoYaThing of Brockhampton's discography.

So it's that time again: Brockhampton is dropping a new album...and I'm not looking forward to it. I think it's been pretty obvious based on my thoughts of the last two singles that I don't anticipate liking GINGER. In fact, my dislike for those singles has made me question, "Do I even like Brockhampton anymore?" So, I went back, checked out Saturation 3 once again and got a MINDFUCK moment. Was I even listening to the same group?!

So yeah, this is fucking amazing. It holds up as their best album!

Saturation 3 is just...everything I love about Brockhampton's music! The essential formula of a great Brockhampton record is all here: The versatility, the passion, the enjoyment, the diversity, the experimentation, the creative production and the soul. Saturation 3 is their most versatile record, with every member blending in beautifully with each other no matter what sound they go for on this album. There's also the passionate performances each member brings to the table. Sure, Ameer hasn't switched up his style at all, but like every other member, he seemed like he was living in the moment! This is the type of album that makes you wish you were in the recording studio with them during the production process.

Saturation 3 is the most fun I can ever get from a Brockhampton record while also delivering some emotionally captivating and chilling moments. This album knows what sound to go for and sets the mood for it. More exciting bangers flow incredibly into more melancholic, slower moments. Brockhampton truly excel with this more alternative and experimental take in the Saturation trilogy without feeling redundant. This is perhaps Brockhampton at their most confident point, and Saturation 3 is simply the musical climax!

Saturation 3 is honestly like a roller coaster of emotions and sounds. This is the only album from them that actively gives me chills and keeps me off my seat. The more mature verses from each member on tracks like JOHNNY, LIQUID, SISTER/NATION, ALASKA, STAINS and TEAM are lyrically hard-hitting and heartfelt. You can honestly hear the pain some of the members have gone through. Saturation 3, amongst all the fun and pain, is a very genuine record.

And the production, my god. Saturation 3 is a collection of Brockhampton's most colorful, soulful, immersive yet also exciting beats ever! The flow of the album is like melted gold. Every track is a part of the experience and doesn't try to take you away from it or actively waste your time. Saturation 3 is Brockhampton's rainbow. It's an album so enjoyable, full of creativity, character and wonder that even when I'm not listening to it, I can just admire it from a distance.

Time and time again, this is my go-to Brockhampton record. Even though I love the rest of the Saturation trilogy and Iridescence, Saturation 3 proves to be a consistently exciting adventure that I always look forward to. This thing has barely any low-points (I'm very meh on BLEACH though, never been one of my fav tracks), an undeniably intriguing youthfulness to it and some of their most adventurous tracks ever! It's an unforgettable end to a golden era of Brockhampton.

It's very interesting to look at this album in context with the group's career as of now. This really served as a major turning point. Unfortunately, things didn't work out for the band after Saturation 3. Ameer left, they signed a major record-label deal with RCA and had delayed/scrapped projects leading up to Iridescence. With things not really working out as hoped, Brockhampton may never have a renaissance/golden age like the Saturation era ever again. Things clearly haven't been the same since Saturation 3, mainly outside of their music, but Brockhampton still has a long future ahead of them.

Who knows what the future holds...there will still be a light at the end of the tunnel.

For now, as it stands, Saturation 3 is truly Brockhampton's greatest moment.

FAV TRACKS: SISTER/NATION, BOOGIE, ZIPPER, JOHNNY, LIQUID, STUPID, HOTTIE, STAINS, TEAM

LEAST FAV TRACK: BLEACH
[hidden]
switch the placement of LIQUID and BLEACH and you have a 10/10 review
Aug 8, 2019
@ACreativeName LIQUID is really freaking great though. Don't leave that little gem underappreciated!
Aug 11, 2019
"SISTER / NATION is the DoYaThing of Brockhampton's discography"

FUCKING FINALLY SOMEONE SAYS IT. HOLY SHIT.
Aug 13, 2019
Glad someone loves sister/nation as much as me but why is bleach least fav?