Kanye West - ye
Jun 1, 2018 (updated Jun 8, 2018)
TLDR: AOTY. Kanye's done it again. Not as good as MBDTF or LR, better than 808s & Yeezus. Sweet, very personal project with impeccable production, the tightest lyrical performance since MBDTF and a couple of bangers. Couple of dad jokes too but they're funny & charismatic.

Best Advice? Ignore the reviews. It's a short album, give it 3 or 4 listens and make your own mind up. People are too emotional to be objective. Don't poison the well, think for yourself. I think you'll probably enjoy it.

Note: Interesting to contrast the lukewarm reception by traditional outlets with the incredible commercial performance and effusive, widespread critical acclaim from non-traditional sources (bloggers, youtube reviewers).

I consider Trump a buffoon out of his depth as much as anyone and think Kanye's attempts at MAGA reappropriation & Gandhism are misguided but the reviews from traditional publications just reek of blind political bias and are disconcertingly vulgar, Pitchfork being the most egregious example of it. You can never separate art from artist and I understand the need to contextualise art but they're just hurling childish insults and barely touch on the music itself.

Pitchfork actually published: "seven tracks he farted out" and "he's an unrepentant asshole." This is something the editorial committee is actually standing by as an example of good journalism. Just contrast with Needledrop's review - he also contextualises the album but actually reviews the fucking music.

P4K labelled Kanye's efforts on Daytona as "uniformly excellent" but, suddenly, a week later he's a lazy man in an empty mansion who has "stopped trying." Again, all of this is actually from the published article. It's so intellectually dishonest. The reviews are filled with these cheap jabs - lazy attempts at armchair psychology jammed in between the vulgar abuse. I'm not even going to touch on the god awful prose. Everything about P4K was vulgar. NME not much better.

1st listen: 80 ish. Will revisit & edit after letting it soak in.
5th listen: 95. Definitely grows on you
20+ listens: 92. Have moved it between 90 and 96 all week, I think 92 is where it ends up settling. Will update if opinion change don this in a month's time.

Bangers: Yikes, All Mine - (If you like GOLD DIGGER, HEARTLESS)
Personal: Wouldn't Leave, Violent Crimes - (If you like RUNAWAY, ROSES)
Soulful: No Mistakes, Ghost Town - (If you like GONE, LATE)
Experimental: Killing You - (If you like FREESTYLE 4, I AM A GOD/YEEZUS IN GENERAL)

It's an exploration of duality - in that sense it borrows a lot thematically from TLOP but I think the bipolar revelation and its brilliant destigmatisation make the theme much more compelling on this project. Kanye takes you on a nice journey of self growth and murders the ego. First Kanye project where I'd say humility takes centre stage and ambition takes a back seat.

Sonically, an amalgam of Kanye's discography - impeccable old Kanye soul sampling, impeccable new Kanye industrial beats. Doesn't push too many new boundaries but LR & MBDTF didn't really innovate all that much either. He just does what he knows how to do well.

Instrumentals: College Dropout meets Yeezus
Bars: MBDTF meets TLOP
General Mood: Graduation meets 808s meets Real Friends.

Definitely NOT similar to watch the throne, cruel summer or late registration.
inu5za's Tags
Jun 2, 2018
imma keep it real with you chief
Jun 2, 2018
It's not MBDTF but it's so much better than the trash pop rap releases of the last few years like DAMN, I Decided or More Life. So much better sonically than KOD. So much better lyrically than Culture.

People are holding Kanye to ridiculously high standards when they'll hype Kendrick & Cole up for the most garbage generic albums.
Jun 3, 2018
lets not go crazy and call Damn trash. i jump on the kendrick diss train all the time because I agree that he is overhyped, but I think it would be unfair to put Damn in the same category as More Life.
Jun 3, 2018
I have no effing clue how you think Gold Digger aligns with Yikes and All Mine.
Jun 3, 2018
@hellodecatur - ignore the lyrics, it's a pretty obvious comparison

@exception - I rated Damn 81 and More Life a 65 but the point still stands. People give Kendrick a complete free pass for all the artistic shortcuts he takes but give Kanye so much shit for releasing a far superior record.
Jun 3, 2018
@dyelir you gave Cupcake a 94. She's a bad novelty meme, somehow less funny than Lil Dicky. Your opinion is irrelevant.
Jun 3, 2018
Ephorize runs LAPS around this mid grade album.

Also DAMN is a classic? Are yall really saying its that bad? Its not 10/10 yall just dont like it cuz he went for radio plays that doesnt mean its bad though? Anyways im OUT this bitch
Jun 3, 2018
Idk man I still don’t see the comparison. I see Heartless in Yikes but Kanye hasn’t made (and probably will never again make) something as bouncy and lighthearted as Gold Digger in years.

Also we all know the lines “let me hit it raw like fuck the outcome/none of us would be here without cum” wouldn’t be out of place on Ephorize.
Jun 3, 2018
@dyelir you gave ye 76 but sremm3 78, you gave college dropout 84 but testing 90. daytona 80 but cupcake 90 and die lit 88
LOL. idk how anyone can take you seriously. you clearly just have a problem with Kanye.

@hellodecatur: Yikes bangs, its not that deep.idk what you're so confused about.
Nvm I guess ¯\_(ใƒ„)_/¯
Jun 3, 2018
inu5za I gave MBDTF a 100 and it is my favorite album of all time. Considering you've looked extensively at my profile how did you miss that? LMAO it's LITERALLY the most popular review on this site of that album. Lazy research. So there's that. But back to you, you called "I Thought About Killing You" experimental ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ Feel free to sit down and delete your account.
Jun 4, 2018
@dyelir: Why would I point out MBTF review when it's one of the few times you're not being completely absurd?
re Killing You - What's the last song that cracked the Spotify top 10 nearly as experimental. You're embarrassing yourself by doubling down on an awful opinion.

Jun 5, 2018
actual good writing that is being well received on this site???? damn.

great job relating the tracks to previous albums/songs, I think you nailed that part
Jun 6, 2018
Hey can you actually stop telling people their opinions are irrelevant because of the numbers they assign albums? You are completely ignoring the actual reason anyone likes albums more than another.

Take a step back and realize that you are valuing people as below yourself because of some numbers. Please stop being so toxic and pretentious as you will not even allow yourself to view a differing opinion than yours. Your opinion is not fact, and differing opinions are not “poisoning the well.”
Jun 6, 2018
Me: Think for yourself, make up your own mind. Nobody's really being objective. Low key kinda dope tho.
pkat: NO! how dare you! I HATE THIS! People should be told to hate this because I hate this!
Me, an intellectual: POOPITY SCOOP. SCOOPITY WHOOP. POOP. POOP.
Jun 6, 2018
No. I don’t think people shoud be told to hate it, nor should I think people should be told to love it. “Think for yourself” is correct.

What I’m not a fan of is atuff line “you gave ye 76 but sremm3 78, how can people take you seriously.”

Y’know, in an argument, attacking the person instead of attacking the argument is a logical fallacy.
stuff like*
Jun 6, 2018
"What's the last song that cracked the Spotify top 10 nearly as experimental." ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ hey influenza, you're doubling down on reasons why you should delete your account. trust me you don't have the stamina to keep this up.
i'm #teampkat
Jun 8, 2018
@dyelir: Can't even think of one example, huh? I even made it easy by saying Spotify instead of Billboard.
Jun 8, 2018
Thanks dyelir, but I’m not trying to convince inu5za why Ye is not a great album. I’m happy that inu5za enjoys it, and I wish it was something I could enjoy too.

My goal here is to help create an evironment where we can have open and good music discussion, where the conversation doesn’t fall hostile or shut people out with “you gave an album I like a low score, your opinion doesn’t count!!” ... This should be needless to say, but apparently it does need to be: everyone’s opinions count.
Jun 15, 2018
you said this is better than yeezus you're cancelledt
Jun 16, 2018
nice point about pitchfork and biases in reviews. i still check pitchfork often enough and enjoy their reviews, but i really only care about the less-hyped albums they review because i probably wouldn’t have heard about it otherwise. and about the needle drop, i don’t understand the hate people give to him. sure he can be annoying and has become a walking meme, but i think he gives decent insight and stays to discussing the material on an album rather than the artist’s life outside music.
Oct 24, 2020
Good News
Kali Uchis - Sin Miedo (del Amor y Otros Demonios) ∞
Kali Uchis
Sin Miedo (del Amor y Otros Demonios) ∞
King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - K.G.
K.G.