Megan Thee Stallion - Suga
Apr 30, 2020
I LOVE Megan Thee Stallion. She's unapologetic, harsh, powerful, and so much fun to listen to. Her rapping is elite and she knows it, her songs are confidently self-affirming and uncompromising. On "Suga," Megan delivers on her signature sound while also stepping outside her comfort zone and attempting some more melodic sounds. Although it's an imperfect project, the first five songs are ridiculously good. "Savage" is the Hot Girl Summer type anthem we've come to expect from Meg, "Captain Hook" is a sex-positive NC-17 banger, "Hit My Phone" is a radio-ready song with a beautifully sung Kehlani hook, and "B.I.T.C.H" is truly fantastic.

The second half of the project sinks a bit, with a clear low point being "Crying in the Car." However, I love Megan's attempt on these songs to try something different. Unlike her "Cash Shit" collaborator DaBaby, nobody can successfully convince me that she's a one-dimensional artist. "Stop Playing (feat. Gunna)" is a pretty average song. Gunna shows up and does his thing, and his contrasting sound works well with Megan. The other songs are fine, mostly on par with "Fever" or slightly below the benchmark.

Overall, I came away from this project having gained at least 4 new bangers to play on repeat, which as a win. Megan managed to drop a solid project in spite of her issues with her label; hopefully those problems are resolved soon and we can continue to hear Megan develop her music to new heights.
Nov 26, 2020