Gil Scott-Heron & Makaya McCraven - We're New Again - A Reimagining by Makaya McCraven
Feb 7, 2020
I just can't get enough of this tasteful mix of jazz and soul and poetry and that voice! This is the first time I felt motivated to weigh in with a rating and review here. I didn't want to spend a lot of time deciding on a number so I just went all in.
That track, 'Where did the night go'? It feels like he wrote that about me! If I'm up too late tonight, it's his fault. Mostly McCraven's fault for bringing him back to my attention with such a fine groovy sound.
If you aren't familiar with Scott-Heron, check out his 70s albums starting with Pieces of a Man (you may recognize the first track as sampled by Public Enemy). If you know and like his work, I think you will appreciate this new treatment of his last album. This is not the first time his last album has been re-imagined! Jamie XX made an interesting remix while Scott-Heron was still around to consult. This one is more effective in my opinion. Now I am curious to hear more of Makaya McCraven's own music as well as revisiting Scott-Heron's later, less familiar works.
Comments
CARNAGE
Julien Baker - Little Oblivions
Julien Baker
Little Oblivions
King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - L.W.
L.W.