May 17, 2020 (updated May 23, 2021)
‘IGOR’ is the pinnacle of rap-production: placing poetry, samples, ad-libs, feelings, and concept art into an intelligently crafted lover’s narrative. tyler creates an album truly capturing the human condition.

what sticks out, to me, are the breathing sounds placed throughout the album; they implement a humanistic element in the music.

breathing is used to hype up “NEW MAGIC WAND”, in warning for the dracula drop in “WHAT’S GOOD”, expressing the fatigue of “running”, or preparing us - from the start - of IGOR’s theme. these breathing instances are examples of how Tyler pours detail into every second (even the album’s first 24).

each work is so impressive, so close to perfect, that it’s challenging to believe ‘IGOR’ has been created by a mere human. this project sounds almost robotic as result of these creations. thus, the breathing proves to be symbolic, and it creatively contrasts the mechanically crafted songs.

rather than returning to early career characteristics (such as unabashedly flaunting his arrogance, or showcasing his innovative achievements), ‘IGOR’ is created to contrast Tyler’s multiple personas.

by bringing his flaws to the forefront, tyler utilizes his faults as strengths. he finds his true voice by reflecting on his personal, career, and creative evolutions.

there are thematic repetitions which are brilliantly organized: such as the use of the word “puppet” in “I THINK”, or, the repetitive ‘call me by your name’ references (“garçon”, a boy is a gun’s video, etc...)

the central storyline is detailed and immersive with ‘wolf’-like interludes. it depicts multiple characters, arcs, journeys, and revelations that can be inspiring (@ “/ THANK YOU”)

the features are blended into the music.

also, when one compares differing track-listings, notice the og version’s “EXACTLY WHAT YOU RUN FROM YOU END UP CHASING” vs the missing (hidden) “BOYFRIEND”.
May 19, 2020
truly a shakespearean work, beautifully written.
Oct 25, 2020