Wolf Alice - Blue Weekend
Jun 4, 2021 (updated Jun 9, 2021)
‘blue weekend’ shines in it bareness. the third album by wolf alice presents a variety of vibes and genres. the result is an expanding, everlasting project which guarantees enjoyment.

by numbing down the rock, and often toning down the volume, somehow wolf alice emerge louder than ever. the group’s emphasis and ideas come across clearer than anything they have previously released.

after winning the coveted mercury prize award, wolf alice had cemented their cult status and attained extra attention for their band. for years, wolf alice were on the brink of excess international exposure. following their monumental win for the 2018 mercury prize, wolf alice had garnered a whole lot of public attention. with this, wolf alice took time to curate their anticipated follow up.

with ‘blue weekend’, the reputation and influence of wolf alice have exploded. the band’s return immediately burst to the top in multiple genres, namely: alternative, indie, singer-songwriter, rock, shoegaze, and grunge.

‘blue weekend’ is fairly indescribable. the project offers safety and shelter. it’s thoroughly majestic and full of calm.

this project seems much more acoustic than the first two records by wolf alice, and for this reason ‘blue weekend’ is enticing.

with additional experience - over the years - comes higher quality, and this is the most consistent album yet from the group.

the bass work from wolf alice has improved, in my opinion, during their four year break between records. songs such as “smile”, “feeling myself”, and “the beach II” show theo ellis’ talent.

in terms of pitch, sound, and astonishment, ellie roswell is in the company of elena tonra and lauren mayberry as some stalwart european alternative vocalists.

i was actually sort of frustrated with the rollout of ‘blue weekend’. it suddenly got pushed up a week, thus interfering with japanese breakfast’s third record. also, there were four singles that released before the album dropped. not only is four singles too many singles for an album with only eleven songs, but they were mostly from the second half of the album. i wish the track listing was reorganized a bit.

regardless, my slight discontentment was cured by the absolute dreaminess of wolf alice’s third album.
Jun 4, 2021