Crumb - Ice Melt
May 11, 2021 (updated May 23, 2021)
this project is gas. crumb are back and sounding better than ever.

‘ice melt’ means water, and that’s what crumb are on their second lp. the group’s sound flows as smooth as a liquid.

many people attest that crumb’s second album is “underwhelming” and “forgettable”. what i argue is that crumb’s music results in a calm psychosis within the musical environment. thus, this general opinion of mediocrity is simply a misunderstanding of the music and it’s effect.

it takes much more than a few listens to understand ‘ice melt’. to truly get a grip on the music takes unanticipated effort and repetition.

crumb return with a psychedelic sound which contains a dark side. ‘ice melt’ is tinged and trippy. crumb remain completely together on this stunning show of talent.

while crumb’s first record ‘jinx’ is more consistent than ‘ice melt’, the latter has higher highs that simply hit harder than any specific moments on crumb’s prior discography.

there are multiple explosive moments throughout ‘ice melt’ that establish this record as consisting of higher talent. the dynamics go from 0 to 100, real quick.

crumb present tasteful musicianship, and demonstrates superb writing.

“tunnels (all that you had” includes eastern vibes which feel enchanting. a moment hits at the 2:38 which marks the beginning of the outro for “tunnels”. this specific outro is notably comprised of my favorite moments from the album.

‘ice melt’ may be formulaic, yet it works wonders. the record adds subtle complexities to crumb’s understated discography.
Comments