Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon
Jan 3, 2019
There's a reason why a cliché becomes a cliché. Pink Floyd's seminal album The Dark Side Of The Moon is to rock what Miles Davis' Kind Of Blue is to jazz - perhaps not a perennial hipster favorite or crowd pleasure, but inexorably embedded into the DNA of all rock music to follow, joining hands with the likes of Radiohead's OK Computer and The Velvet Underground's The Velvet Underground and Nico. It's rich sonic textures and moody atmosphere well compliment the introspective (if a bit sophomoric) lyrics. If Sgt. Pepper's is the father of modern rock, than he's a stern, authoritative, boring dad, and The Dark Side Of The Moon is your cool older brother who lets you smokes pot with him.

As for myself, it seems I am completely unable to shake this thing. It's what made me get into music when I was 14, (precisely the right age to have your mind blown by Roger Waters' ruminations and David Gilmour's mind-bending guitars) when I stopped going to a private school and my whole perspective was shifted (for the better), or the time I found God again on a retreat, or the time I tripped out way too hard on pot brownies in college. It's not even my favorite Floyd album, (that particular honor tying between their magnificent debut album and Animals.) but it's the one album that has managed to resonate with me after all these years.

And I wouldn't have it any other way.
Comments