Jay Electronica - A Written Testimony
Mar 13, 2020 (updated Mar 19, 2020)
Jay Electronica's first(!) project brings everything to the table that albums like Earl's 'Some Rap Songs' and Mavi's 'Let The Sun Talk' miss for me. It works with these airy and abstract compositions, but instead of trying to rush from one song to the next, one hit of swagger to another, it gives these ephemeral backdrops the space they need to breathe. The album not only oozes creativity, but it offers so much confidence, it's quite unbelievable to think this man has never laid something to commercial tape before.

In conclusion: he's taken something that's become a cliché over the last two years and reworked it into something with more versatility and stability than anyone could have thought for a debut(!). Timothy proves that taking your time can be a beautiful thing and shows the doubters that the hype has been worth it all along.

EDIT: I still largely stand by what I said, but 'The Blinding' is incredibly grating, 'Ezekiel's Dream' drags on far too long and I don't think 'Universal Soldier' is in any way memorable. Most of the other material is still really solid, as I really don't care Jay-Z got as much time on here as he did. He nailed everything he did on this project, so why complain?
Comments