Fontaines D.C. - A Hero's Death
Jul 30, 2020 (updated Jul 31, 2020)
"Sophomore slump my ass", they said while staring blissfully into the abyss...

After that pretentious intro to get you reading, let me tell you why this blows their debut record out of the water - a first effort I enjoyed immensely no less. Any sane person will tell you that the Fontaines stood out among the new wave of punk bands right from the off. Most of that praise, however, had to be attributed to frontman Grian Chatten's phenomenal voice, delivery and poetry (and his piercing blue eyes😍). Yes, the band delivered quirky and hooky punk tracks in abundance, but the instrumental backdrop never felt fully developed, not quite ripe. One couldn't help but feel the Irish lads were destined for Greatnesstown, but they were gonna have to wait a while to catch the bus.

Fast forward 15 months, and it's very clear to see that the boys decided to get their speediest automobile out of the garage instead, as they have - in fact - arrived. Grian sounds as confident as ever (God only knows he'd have me swooning if I was sexually attracted to men), the instrumentation has much more room to breathe (thank you, Dan Carey!) and the shift from angular punk to rhythmic hypnosis couldn't have been more successful had they tried.

Variety, consistency and novelty... one of the ones to beat this year fo' shooooo!
Comments