Nah, man. Far too gimmicky and overbearing. In trying to break down that border between harsh punk and "haha funny", they skirt far too close to the latter. It's pretty much PC music, but "LOoK hOw gOod mY gUitAr gOes pLOinG :-))"... not the best look. It's genuinely hard for me to take this remotely seriously, as opposed to their earlier material. I can't even tell if they're trying to make the instrumentation so incredibly fucking ridiculous and cheesy on purpose, which is quite the obvious issue.

I've not even mentioned the cringeworthy instances on the record when Joe Talbot bites back at his detractors, taking after Kanye's worst moments - he might as well have sung "Let's have a toast for the douchebags" too. Probably could've done with keeping those lyric sheets locked away in a very deep, dark dungeon.

Finally, I'd rather listen to three hours worth of Migos adlibs than the equivalent of Joe Talbot making thOSE FUCKING ANNOYING MONKEY AND POOF POOF GUN SOUNDS LIKE HOLY SHIT YOU'RE IN YOUR THIRTIES SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Still manages to be pretty fun and loud at times, though - plus a lot of the themes they touch upon in their music are really important, reaching quite a lot of people who do in fact like this gentrified Dead Kennedys-esque material - so... 49, I guess 🀷

Sidenote: check out Shame's material too, because they try do this combination of funny and moshpit-ready material too, but it's much more successful because Charlie Steen makes himself out to be a bit of a tit just the right amount, as opposed to mister Joe here.
Sep 24, 2020
+ TV Priest are a great new comparable band too
Sep 24, 2020
I was thinking of listening to this but uh oh
Sep 25, 2020
I wanted to be sad about this review... But then you mentioned Shame, so everything is resolved.
Sep 25, 2020
wait till you are in your 30s. :)
Sep 25, 2020
Oh, I'm sure I'll do the exact same when I'm in my 30's, but that doesn't keep me from complaining about it now - generational gap'll do that to ya ;)
Only one 49% rating allowed per user per year ☝️
Sep 25, 2020
I'll decide upon my sacred cow at the end of the year and demote all the other 49's to a 48! :))
Sep 28, 2020
Unconditionally of the same mind, this record is unacceptably meretricious throughout.
DarthSenate66