Boldy James & The Alchemist - The Price of Tea in China (Deluxe Edition)
Jan 30, 2021
~ The Price Of Tea In China sounds like it could be a soundtrack to a legendary Detroit movie. It really gives you a detail of what the drug game is like in the city and what you have to do in order to hustle and make ends meet which I love. The best way I can describe Boldy James’ music is a cold winter night in Detroit.

The intro Carruth is this sinister slow track where he’s reflecting on life, past actions and how he views the world in his current state. The sample here is crazy and instantly became one of my favorites on here. “My friends came and went, but most of them was murder victims/ Dead before 20, or caught a frame and had to serve a sentence”. Giant Slide is the standout track for me. The production here is just crazy that as soon as you hear it you can’t help but feel it, Surf & Turf is a close second. The transition to Run-Ins is flawless, the song gives me an atmosphere of uneasiness and panic. It tells the story of someone running away either from the police, their demons, ect. The energy on Scrape The Bowl is unmatched, Benny The Butcher gives arguably the best guess performance on here. S.N.O.R.T. was a cool track, Freddie Gibbs gives a really nice feature but as a whole this isn’t anything too outstanding, same with Pinto and Mustard. Wasn’t the biggest fan of Grey October, felt like the Evidence feature made it even more boring than it already was. I thought the beat on Speed Demon Freestyle could’ve been better but this is another solid track where Boldy is just running it giving straight bars.

The deluxe album put this whole project on a different level for me. Belvedere in particular is my favorite. It has this night time feel with a smooth and soulful sample, as Boldy raps about his past life. Bernadines is one of the more bangers on this album, a great beat where he gets off some grimey bars.

1. Giant Slide
2. Surf & Turf (feat. Vince Staples)
3. Slow Roll
4. Bernadines
5. Carruth
6. Run-Ins
7. Speed Demon Freestyle
8. Belvedere
9. Scrape The Bowl (feat. BENNY THE BUTCHER)
10. Pots and Pans (feat. The Cool Kids & Shorty K)
11. Pinto
12. S.N.O.R.T. (feat. Freddie Gibbs)
13. Phone Bill
14. Grey October (feat. Evidence)
15. Mustard
16. Flamingo (feat. Elcamino)

Carruth - 7.8